1) Before we get to the questions, can you tell us bit about yourself and what you’re up to right now?
I’m Jérémie Helme, 30 years old, and from Annecy, France. I work as a web & mobile developer and am freelancing since 2009.
2) If you would search for your profile on Google, which are the three keywords you would type in the search bar?
I would search: Mobile, Xamarin, and Air.
I’m mostly a mobile developer, and I use those two technologies at the moment, as they each provide different advantages.
3) What was your inspiration and when did you actually decide to become a freelancer?
During my studies at Gobelins I‘ve had the opportunity to meet inspiring people, and some of them were part of a freelance studio called L’Etrange Fabrique. They were looking for a mobile developer, and they kindly asked me to join them. I know that starting as a freelancer can be frightening, so being surrounded by all those talented professionals (and friends) was all I could dream of!
Before being a full-time freelancer, I’ve work half-time for a company, as part of my studies at Gobelins.
4) What kind of services have your clients asked you to provide?
They involve me at the beginning of the project, during the conception phase. I give my advice on how the product should work technically, which accelerates the development phase. Then I’m in charge of the development, either alone or in team.
5) Do you use other freelancers or companies to provide skills that you don’t possess?
Yes, I have a network of other freelancers I like to work with. That’s also the main purpose of l’Etrange Fabrique. We are all freelancers, and we provide all the skills needed for a project: conception, art direction, illustration, motion, web and mobile development. We also have a list of people for when we are all busy.
6) Now tell us, how do you find new clients that are interested in your services?
Since I’ve been working for a while now, I’m lucky to have regular customers. They represent something like 70% of my projects. For the last 30%, clients contact me through my website, l’Etrange Fabrique, or LinkedIn mostly. I’ve never really needed to search for projects until now, I hope it will last !
7) What do you love most about your work? Is there any particular project that you are proud of?
Independence is what I love most. I’m way more efficient when I choose my time and place to work. I also like to work for several different companies as they all have their own way of working.
My favorite project is not out yet, but it involves building houses in 3D on mobiles ! stay tuned...
8) Are there any great apps or tools that you use for your work?
I love the jet brains products, especially IntelliJ, AppCode and YouTrack.
9) What are your future plans? Will you maybe be changing to full-time employment?
My plans for the next 1 or 2 years are to experiment working while travelling. I'm currently in South America, where I work from cafes / hostel for customers in France, and the next stop is Mexico. I'll also try co-working offices, they seem to bloom everywhere since few years.
Having an office in France helps me keep strong connections with my regular customers, and travelling offers me other opportunities. It works really well so far!
Where to find Jérémie:
Link to freelancermap.com profile: Jérémie Helme – freelancermap.com
Link to website: jeremiehelme.fr
Pic: © Jérémie Helme