Mechatronic engineers are in charge of designing and developing electro-mechanical systems and mechatronic devices. They build smart machines, improve existing ones and create software to control the mechatronic systems they build. What does a mechatronic engineer do?
Mechatronic engineers use a combination of mechanical, electronic, and computer engineering to build smart machines and improve the production of goods.
They improve existing mechanical systems and design engineering systems for the automation of industrial tasks. They are innovative, driven and have a logical brain for subjects like mathematics and physics.
Is mechatronics engineering in demand? As more and more businesses advance their technologies, the demand for mechatronics engineering is increasing proportionally. According to recruiter.com, an expected 19,920 new jobs will be filled by 2029.
Mechatronics engineers design and develop electro-mechanical systems as well as computer control systems for manufacturing equipment. They develop programming logic for manufacturing equipment and also select the required tools and materials for the manufacturing process.
They develop project specifications and recommend modifications when needed and also identify areas of weakness in the production line or finished products.
They study the viability and performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment and attend workshops and training sessions to stay on top of field advancements.
These engineers present reports at internal technical meetings and are sometimes asked to assist with recruitment, onboarding, and training of junior engineers or apprentices.
What are the responsibilities of a mechatronics engineer?
- Design and develop electro-mechanical systems
- Design computer control systems for manufacturing equipment
- Develop programming logic for manufacturing equipment
- Select the required tools and materials for the manufacturing process
- Develop project specifications
- Recommend modifications when needed
- Identify areas of weakness in the production line or finished products
- Study the viability and performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment
- Attend workshops and training sessions to stay on top of field advancements
- Present reports at internal technical meetings
- Assist with recruitment, onboarding, and training of junior engineers or apprentices
Mechatronic engineers have strong mathematical and analytical skills as well as knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology.
They have strong knowledge of design techniques and tools, computers and electronics, production processing, and some administration and management.
These engineers are innovative, persistent and dependable, and have excellent communication, attention-to-detail, and leadership skills. They also have the ability to work well in a team or alone.
What are the skills of a mechatronics engineer?
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong analytical thinking
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology
- Strong knowledge of design techniques and tools
- Proficiency in computers and electronics
- Knowledge of production processing
- Experience with administration and management
- Strong innovative skills
- Highly persistent
- Extremely dependable
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work well in a team
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
You will most probably need a Bachelor’s degree to work as a mechatronics engineer. This should ideally be in Mechatronics but a degree in Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering or any other related field will also work.
You can also boost your chances of being hired by completing an apprenticeship or obtaining additional qualifications. Check out options for these down below:
- The Mechatronics Revolution: Fundamentals and Core Concepts
- System Dynamics and Mechatronics Engineering
- Essentials of Control in Mechatronic system
- Crash Course Electronics and PCB Design
What is the salary in mechatronics engineering?
As a mechatronics engineer, you can earn quite a bit – depending mostly on what position you hold in a company. A junior engineer can earn almost $58,000 per year whereas a senior engineer can earn almost $139,000 per year. The average salary is $90,000 per year.
Salary of a mechatronics engineer:
Salary range of a mechatronics engineer:
|US||$58,000 – $139,000|
How much does a freelance mechatronics engineer earn?
According to our freelancermap freelance rate index (December 2021), mechatronic engineers working on a freelance basis earn an average hourly rate of $85. Considering an 8-hour work day, engineers can make $680 per day.