Cognos developers are in charge of designing, developing, implementing and deploying dashboard solutions and reports business intelligence and performance management software, Cognos. They create and perform tests on various business enterprises and prepare reports to track development. What does a Cognos developer do?
What is Cognos?
Cognos is a collection of performance management tools from IBM. The software is used in companies for both performance management and business intelligence and operates on its own hardware and Cognos cloud services.
The name Cognos stands for both the software suite and the company that develops and sells the products. It is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and was acquired by IBM in 2008.
With the help of the Cognos software, users without special technical knowledge can collect, extract and evaluate company data and create meaningful reports. Cognos is used in many companies around the world and competes with products from software manufacturers such as Oracle, SAP or Microsoft.
Because Cognos is built on open standards, the software can connect to many different databases and data sources.
Responsibilities of a Cognos Developer
Cognos developers are primarily in charge of designing, developing and deploying dashboard solutions and multi-dimensional reports using IBM’s Cognos.
Developers work with team members to evaluate the needs of the company that relate to Cognos development. They translate business requirements into technical specifications and develop and test plans to ensure a project’s successful delivery.
Cognos developers participate in project planning and track activities to ensure all tasks are executed on time. They build reporting solutions while adhering to data warehousing best practices.
These developers address production defects, if any, and handle any technical issues. They are also in charge of administering Cognos securities and are in charge of user group maintenance.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a Cognos developer?
- Design, develop and deploy dashboard solutions and multi-dimensional reports using IBM’s Cognos
- Work with team members to evaluate the needs of the company that relate to Cognos development
- Translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Develop and test plans to ensure a project’s successful delivery
- Participate in project planning
- Track activities to ensure all tasks are executed on time
- Build reporting solutions while adhering to data warehousing best practices
- Address any production defects
- Handle any technical issues
- Administer Cognos securities
- In charge of user group maintenance
Looking for Cognos developers?
Find the right freelancers here
Skills of a Cognos Developer
Cognos developers have extensive knowledge and experience with the Cognos BI suite. They have experience working with data and data warehousing business solutions and have a thorough understanding of Cognos Framework Manager, Reporting and Dashboard.
Cognos developers have proven knowledge of Data warehousing concepts and ETL concepts and are familiar with SQL and PLSQL. They have the ability to perform data discovery and quality analysis.
They also have experience with AWS and are able to handle Cognos administration tasks. Developers are familiar with Agile methodologies and processes and have demonstrable experience in troubleshooting.
These developers possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills and have the ability to manage and lead teams. They also have strong communication skills and are extremely detail oriented.
What are the skills of a Cognos developer?
- Extensive knowledge of Cognos BI suite
- Experience working with data and data warehousing business solutions
- Thorough understanding of Cognos Framework Manager, Reporting and Dashboard
- Knowledge of Data warehousing concepts
- Knowledge of ETL concepts
- Familiarity with SQL and PLSQL
- Ability to perform data discovery and quality analysis
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Agile methodologies and processes
- Demonstrable experience in troubleshooting
- Strong analytical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and lead teams
- Strong communication skills
- Detail oriented
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Cognos developers generally have a Bachelor’ degree in Computer Science, Technology, Engineering or a related field of study. Some employers may also prefer a candidate with a Master’s though others might employ you even if you do not have a degree of any sort but are experienced with Cognos.
Training and certification also goes a long way in the eyes of your employer. Check out some options for these below:
- Overview of IBM Cognos Analytics
- First Guide to Dashboards using IBM Cognos Analytics (V11)
- LQ – IBM Cognos Digital Online course
- Cognos Training
- Complete IBM Cognos Analytics 11 Cloud Training Course
The salary of Cognos developers depends on various factors – the industry they work in and the role they have. Junior developers can earn up to $55,000 whereas senior developers earn up to $120,000. The average salary is around $92,000.
How much do Cognos developers make?
How much do freelance Cognos developers make?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a Cognos developer is $105. Considering an 8-hour working day, the daily rate would be around $840 (freelancermap price index – May 2021).