MERN developers are responsible for writing reusable, testable, and efficient code and developing and designing front end web applications. They are in charge of applying CSS methodologies and tools into creating complete websites. What does a MERN stack developer do?
Before we jump into the job profile of a MERN stack developer, let’s take a look at what MERN Stack is exactly.
MERN Stack is a set of software subsystems for application development, which includes:
- Mongo DB
- React.js and;
- Node.js technologies
MERN Stack developers are primarily in charge of developing and designing front end web architecture and building interactive consumer data from multiple systems. They define code architecture decisions to support high-performance products.
More often than not, MERN developers are responsible for translating wireframes and PSD Designs into functional web applications.
They work with development teams and managers to ideate software solutions and are responsible for developing well-functioning databases and applications.
MERN Stack developers both conduct and are a part of project planning & scheduling, design discussions, and are responsible for addressing and improving any technical issues when they arise.
What are the responsibilities of a MERN Stack developer?
- Developing and designing front end web architecture
- Building interactive consumer data from multiple systems
- Define code architecture decisions to support high-performance products
- Translate wireframes and PSD Designs into functional web applications
- Work with development teams and managers to ideate software solutions
- Developing well-functioning databases and applications
- Conduct and participate in project planning & scheduling and design discussions
- Test software to ensure efficiency
- Address and improve any technical issues
These developers usually have proven experience in front & back-end development and have the ability to create front end applications using HTML5, Angular, LESS/SASS.
They also have knowledge of modern frameworks and design patterns and are able to create Unit and Integration tests to ensure the quality of code.
In terms of soft skills, MERN Stack developers have strong problem-solving and analytical skills and must possess the discipline it takes to work as a developer. They must also be both proactive and self-motivated.
What are the skills of a MERN Stack developer?
- In-depth knowledge of NodeJS, ExpressJS or Restify
- Experience creating RESTful services with Node.js
- Proficiency in OOP and database concepts
- Proven experience in front & back-end development
- Ability to create front end applications using HTML5, Angular, LESS/SASS
- Knowledge of modern frameworks and design patterns
- Ability to create Unit and Integration tests to ensure the quality of code
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Strong analytical thinking
- Strong will and discipline
MERN Stack developers usually have a Bachelor’s degree. This can be in Computer Science, IT, or a related field. You can also find a job without a degree but you must showcase exceptional skills and knowledge of MongoDB, Express. JS, React. js, and Node. js.
To advance your skills in these areas, consider signing up for online courses. Take a look at some options for these down below:
- MERN Stack Developer E-Degree Program
- MERN Stack Front To Back: Full Stack React, Redux & Node.js
- MERN Stack Bootcamp – Zero to Hero in One Course
- MERN eCommerce From Scratch
MERN Stack developers can earn quite a bit depending on how good their skills are and the position that they are at. Generally though, the average mern stack developer can earn around $105,000 per year.
Junior developers can start at $87,500 per year whereas more experienced ones can make up to $175,000 per year.
In Germany, the salary range for a developer is €42,000-€69,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £40,000-£70,000.
What is the salary range of MERN stack developers?
|US||$87,500 – $175,000|
|Germany||€42,000 – €69,000|
How much do freelance MERN Stack developers make?
|Average rate MERN Stack Developers (2022)||$31/hr|
On average, freelance MERN Stack Developers charge $31/hour (freelancermap’s price and rate index in September 2022).
Freelance rates in MERN Stack Development range between $20 and $52 for the majority of freelancers.
Considering a freelance rate of $31/hour, a freelancer would charge $248/day for an 8-hour working day.
Other interesting job profiles
- What does a Mobile Developer do?
- What does an Informatica Developer do?
- What does a Tableau Developer do?
- What Does A MERN Stack Developer Do?
- What Does A Quantum Developer Do?