AI architects are responsible for designing and implementing AI infrastructure for databases, applications, and computer networks. They generally serve as the bridge between programmers, data analysts, administrators, etc. and organisation executives. What does an AI architect do?
Role of an AI Architect
Artificial Intelligence has advanced considerably over the past few decades. From Tech and Manufacturing to Healthcare and Advertising, various industries have felt its impact. And despite some fears that AI will put workers out of a job, there are new job roles opening up because of AI. One such role is that of an AI architect.
Projects revolving around AI are often hindered due to poor planning and the inability to scale. This is where AI architects come into play. AI architects are responsible for optimising AI architectures in organisations and scaling AI projects.
These tech professionals help build a robust and efficient enterprise architecture that can drive technological innovation.
AI Architect Responsibilities
AI architects are in charge of creating and maintaining organisation architecture using leading AI technology frameworks. They also develop solutions to challenges using AI and machine learning (ML) applications.
These professionals develop AI models that align with business goals and assist a business’s digital transformation initiatives with the help of data scientists and AI experts.
They are also in charge of auditing AI tools and practices across data, models and software engineering and deciding the open-source and commercial tools that need to be used to build the AI.
Lastly, AI architects work closely with security and risk leaders to foresee and overturn risks.
What are AI architects responsible for?
- Create and maintain organisation architecture using leading AI technology frameworks
- Develop solutions to challenges using AI and machine learning (ML) applications
- Develop AI models that align with business goals
- Assist business’s digital transformation initiatives with the help of data scientists and AI experts
- Audit AI tools and practices across data, models and software engineering
- Decide open-source and commercial tools that need to be used to build the AI
- Work closely with security and risk leaders to foresee and overturn risks
- Plan and develop and developing automated solutions for organisational and technical operations
AI Architect Skills
AI architects must have an in-depth knowledge of the various components involved in data processing, administration, deployment, and production processes. They must also have knowledge of the workflow and pipeline architectures of ML and deep learning workloads.
AI architects must have proficiency when it comes to ML and Deep Learning frameworks like TensorFlow and ML methodologies. They must also have experience with software engineering and DevOps principles, including knowledge of DevOps workflows and tools, such as Git, containers, and Kubernetes.
These professionals should also have knowledge of advanced analytics tools such as SAS, R and Python and must be familiar with the different types of approaches used in practical applications of machine learning.
In terms of soft skills, AI architects must have strong leadership and collaborative skills and the ability to think analytically.
What are the skills of an AI architect?
- Knowledge of the workflow and pipeline architectures of ML and deep learning workloads
- In-depth knowledge of the various components involved in data processing, administration, deployment, and production processes.
- Proficiency when it comes to ML and Deep Learning frameworks like TensorFlow
- Knowledge of ML methodologies
- Experience with software engineering and DevOps principles
- Knowledge of DevOps workflows and tools, such as Git and Kubernetes
- Knowledge of advanced analytics tools such as SAS, R and Python
- Familiarity with the different types of approaches used in practical applications of machine learning
- Strong leadership skills
- Good collaborative skills
- Ability to think analytically
How to become an AI Architect
AI architects typically have at least a bachelor’s degree. This could be in Computer Science, Data Science, IT, Software Engineering, or a related field.
A Postgraduate degree might also help you get better paying jobs as an AI architect. You could also choose to obtain certifications that allow you to further broaden your knowledge in AI. Check out options for these down below:
- The Complete Machine Learning Course: From Zero to Expert!
- Python for Data Science, AI & Development
- AI For Business Specialization
- Getting Started with SAS Programming
How much does an AI Architect make?
An AI architect earns approximately $141,400 per year on average in the US. Those that are just starting out can expect a salary closer to $97,000 per year whereas those with years of experience can expect a salary of around $209,000 per year.
In Germany, AI architects can earn around €52,000 – €87,000 whereas in the UK, they can earn around £42,000 – £75,000 per year.
Salary of an AI architect:
|US||$97,000 – $209,000|
|Germany||€52,000 – €87,000|
|UK||£42,000 – £75,000|
Salary of freelance AI architects:
AI Architects on freelancermap charge on average:
Rates in the 3D Printing Industry range between $40 and $96/hour for most freelancers.
The daily rate for AI Architects (8 working hours) would be around:
Other interesting profiles
- What Does A Digital Forensics Analyst Do?
- What Does A Data Modeler Do?
- What does a Data Warehouse Developer do?
- What Does An Inventory Analyst Do?
- What does an HRIS Analyst do?