An AI ethics officer is responsible for defining and implementing values related to AI across businesses and organisations. They supervise work surrounding AI and make sure that all processes follow ethical guidelines. What does an AI ethics officer do?
What are AI Ethics?
AI ethics refers to a system of principles and guidelines that deals with AI’s impact on things while reducing risks and unfavourable outcomes.
Human beings are built to have cognitive biases – a fact that can bleed into our handling of data. And since data is the foundation for all machine learning algorithms, it’s crucial that it be fair and unbiased. This is why AI ethics are necessary. It is a system that makes sure that AI technology is used responsibly and developed without any cognitive biases.
Examples of AI ethics include:
- Data responsibility and privacy
- Accountability, and more.
There is a whole community of researchers and officers dedicated to ethics in AI. For example, Timnit Gebru, founder and executive director of the Distributed Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (DAIR), is a strong advocate for diversity in technology and is also co-founder of Black in AI – a community dedicated to including Black people in the field of AI by creating a space for sharing ideas, collaborations, and more.
Responsibilities of an AI Ethics Officer
An AI Ethics Officer is primarily responsible for ensuring that the work around data and AI in a company is unbiased and ethical. They oversee compliance and develop a culture of preserving AI ethical and human rights within an organisation.
These officers are in charge of examining technology from a human values perspective and ensuring that the development of AI and subsequent data includes the fundamental principles of our societies and human freedoms.
AI Ethics Officers define ethics policy and are responsible for training other team members on the subject.
In addition, with the help of other AI team members, these officers design relevant algorithmic rules and monitor learning systems (machine and deep learning).
What are the responsibilities of an AI Ethics Officer?
- Ensure that work around data and AI is unbiased and ethical
- Oversee compliance
- Develop a culture of preserving AI ethical and human rights
- Examine technology from a human values perspective
- Ensure that the development of AI includes the fundamental principles of our societies
- Define ethics policy
- Train and educate other team members on the subject
- Work with other AI team members to design relevant algorithmic rules
- Monitor learning systems
- Conducts investigations related to complaints and allegations of AI ethical wrongdoing
Looking for projects in AI?
Find the right one for yourself here
Skills of an AI Ethics Officer
AI Ethics Officers have extensive scientific and technical understanding of ethical and human rights awareness.
They also have knowledge of data science, machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, and robotics.
These officers have the ability to comprehend and apply the appropriate sections of guidelines and policies. AI Ethics Officers also have knowledge of AI principles and practices and are able to read and understand data.
They possess excellent communication and critical thinking skills as well as the ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
What are the skills of an AI Ethics Officer?
- Extensive scientific and technical understanding of ethical and human rights awareness
- Knowledge of data science
- Knowledge of machine learning and natural language processing
- Familiarity with robotics
- Ability to comprehend and apply the appropriate sections of guidelines
- Knowledge of AI principles and practices
- Ability to read and understand data
- Excellent communication skills
- Good critical thinking
- Ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders
- Strong analytical thinking
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Background and education
AI Ethics Officers need to have a combination of formal education and practical experience. They must have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, philosophy or social sciences as well as a Master’s degree in AI with a focus on Ethics.
Gaining practical experience and professional development also go a long way towards building a successful AI ethics career.
Check out options for some courses that can help you as an officer below:
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Artificial Intelligence Ethics Certification
- ChatGPT / AI Ethics: Ethical Intelligence in an AI World
- Ethical AI
Salary of an AI Ethics Officer
AI ethics officers earn roughly around $121,800 per year on average in the US. On the lower end, these officers can make $25,500 per year whereas on the higher end, they can earn around $218,000 per year.
In the UK, AI Ethics Officers make £45,000 – £56,000 per year whereas in Germany, they make €25,000 – €89,000 per year.
How much do AI Ethics Officers make?
|US||$25,500 – $218,000|
|Germany||€25,000 – €89,000|
|UK||£45,000 – £56,000|
Other interesting job profiles
- What Does A Chief Growth Officer Do?
- What Does A Technical Program Manager Do?
- What does a Project Controller do?
- What does a Risk Manager do?
- What Does A Cyber Lawyer Do?