A CRM developer is responsible for gathering customer information for organisations and developing and maintaining customer relationship management (CRM) software. They also create reports about customer behaviour for business heads and help analyse data to determine the best course of action for an organisation. What does a CRM developer do?
What is CRM?
CRM, or Customer Relation Management, is a culmination of strategies, processes and technologies used by organisations to engage with their customers. Businesses use CRM to engage with customers and turn any potential prospects into clients.
The main goal of CRM is to boost an organisation’s relationship with its clients by increasing loyalty and driving profits.
💡 Keep in mind that while CRM includes all aspects in which an organisation interacts with its customers, it is more commonly used to refer to technology that deals with these relationships.
A CRM system helps gather and analyse customer data, including:
- Customer information
- Purchase history
- Service requests
- Past interactions with representatives of the company and so on.
The system then allows users to access such data in order for them to comprehend what happens at each touchpoint.
Examples of CRM platforms include Salesforce, HubSpot, Pipedrive, and Zoho. These platforms allow developers to create cloud applications that can help a business improve customer relations. For example, the Zoho developer console allows developers to create ready-to-deploy cloud applications using a variety of unique features.
Looking for a CRM Developer?
Find expert CRM developers for your business here
What are the responsibilities of a CRM Developer?
A CRM developer is in charge of creating reports about customer behaviour for use in business decisions. They are also responsible for managing technical scopes and user expectations and developing new features or functionality for existing systems.
They implement enhancements for a CRM system based on business requirements and provide technical support for the implementation of any new software solutions.
These developers are also in charge of analysing data to determine the best course of action for the company and working with senior management to ensure key functionalities are understood.
They are responsible for detecting all the software deficiencies that are not covered through automated testing and also for taking care of data standardisation, configuration, and support.
Responsibilities of a CRM developer:
- Create reports about customer behaviour
- Manage technical scopes and user expectations
- Develop new features or functionality for existing systems
- Build solutions and provide administrative support for CRM systems
- Implement enhancements for a CRM system based on business’ requirements
- Provide technical support for the implementation of any new software solutions
- Analyse data to determine the best course of action for the company
- Monitor and recommend changes to improve the reliability, scalability, functionality and security performance of CRM systems
- Deliver technical design documents
- Work with senior management to ensure key functionalities are understood
- Detect all the software deficiencies that are not covered through automated testing
- Take care of data standardisation, configuration, and support
- Manage CRM application upgrades and rollups
What skills are required for a CRM Developer?
To work as a CRM developer, you will need to have a strong understanding of how customer relationship management (CRM) systems and how these work, especially popular ones like Salesforce, InterAction, Microsoft Dynamics 365, etc.
You will also need to have an understanding of OO design patterns and principles and must be proficient in related technologies such as Microsoft Stack, Office 365, SSRS, SSIS, Microsoft Azure and Power BI.
CRM developers must also have knowledge of the key concepts and technologies involved in CRM development, such as database design, data mining, and web application development. They must also have experience in technology-related operations, processes, and procedures.
In terms of technical skills, CRM developers should be detail-oriented, have the ability to prioritise numerous demands, and can multi-task easily. They must also have strong analytical and communication skills.
Skills of a CRM developer:
- Strong understanding of how CRM systems work like Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics 365, etc.
- Ability to customize and configure CRM applications (creating and modifying entities and workflows)
- Understanding of OO design patterns and principles
- Proficiency in related technologies such as Microsoft Stack, Office 365 and Power BI
- Knowledge of the key concepts and technologies involved in CRM development, such as database design, data mining, and web application development
- Experience integrating CRM systems with other applications and databases (data migration and synchronization)
- Experience in technology-related operations, processes, and procedures
- Good understanding off reporting and analytics tools within CRM systems
- Detail-oriented and able to prioritise numerous demands
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
What language do CRM developers use?
Looking for your next CRM project?
Find the right one here!
How do you become a CRM Developer?
You will need to get started with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, or a related field to work as a CRM developer.
Also, CRM certifications such as Microsoft Dynamics 365, Salesforce CRM, or Oracle CRM would be a bonus.
You will also need to have knowledge and experience related to specific CRM systems. For this, we recommend the following courses to help you:
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 & PowerApps Developer Course
- Salesforce Sales Operations Professional Certificate
- Zoho CRM and Zoho Creator Masterclass
- Excel 101: Create Your Own CRM In Excel Masterclass
What is the salary of a CRM Developer?
A CRM developer earns approximately $121,000 per year on average in the US. A developer who’s just starting can earn around $79,000 per year whereas one with years of experience can earn around $188,000 per year.
In Germany, these developers can earn in between €40,000 – €75,000 per year whereas in the UK, they can earn in between £45,000 – £55,000 per year.
How much do CRM developers earn?
|US||$79,000 – $188,000|
|Germany||€40,000 – €75,000|
|UK||£45,000 – £55,000|
How much do freelance CRM developers earn?
CRM Developers on freelancermap charge on average:
Rates in the CRM Industry range between $40 and $96/hour for most freelancers.
The daily rate for CRM Developers (8 working hours) would be around:
Other interesting job profiles
- What does a Full Stack Developer do?
- What Does A PCB Designer Do?
- What does a SolidWorks Designer do?
- What Does a QA Analyst Do?
- What Does An LMS Administrator Do?