An Amazon Web Services (AWS) developer is in charge of creating, maintaining and updating the cloud structure of web apps within the AWS cloud-based platform. These professionals use their knowledge of core AWS services to enhance the scalability and security of applications for a company. What does an AWS developer do?
What is AWS?
Amazon Web Services is a cloud computing platform offered by Amazon. Customers can have applications, websites and services hosted there, rent resources for computing tasks and much much more. AWS has existed since 2006 and is one of the largest cloud services in the world.
AWS has a large repertoire of services, some of which include:
- Network exchange, and more.
Responsibilities of an AWS Developer
An AWS developer is responsible for firstly understanding a company’s current application infrastructure and suggesting new concepts to improve performance.
They define and document best practices for application deployment and infrastructure maintenance and leverage these best practices to design, test, implement and support a solution.
AWS developers generate specifications to design or redesign complex software components and applications and are responsible for collaborating with the IT team or department on the migration of web apps to AWS.
They also create programmes that are reusable, effective, and scalable while also creating and documenting cost-effective migration strategies.
What are the responsibilities of an AWS developer?
- Understanding a company’s current application and software infrastructure
- Suggesting new concepts to improve performance
- Define best practices for application deployment and infrastructure maintenance
- Leverage best practices to design, test, implement and support a solution
- Generate specifications to design or redesign complex software components and applications
- Develop different AWS services to build serverless applications
- Evaluate programmes to identify technical faults
- Collaborating with the IT team or department on the migration of web apps to AWS
- Creating programmes that are reusable, effective, and scalable
- Creating and documenting cost-effective migration strategies
Skills of an AWS Developer
These professionals have extensive knowledge of the core AWS services, applications, and best practices for AWS architecture. They also have hands-on experience in different domains and disciplines, such as database architecture, BI, machine learning, advanced analytics, etc.
Professionals in this field also have significant experience in Linux/Unix administration and experience with monitoring solutions such as CloudWatch and Prometheus.
AWS developers possess the ability to troubleshoot distributed systems and also have experience with DevOps and tools like Bamboo, Jenkins, Jira, etc.
They also have excellent communication and collaboration skills and have the ability to be great team players and problem solvers.
What are the skills of an AWS developer?
- Extensive knowledge of the core AWS services and applications
- Knowledge of best practices for AWS architecture
- Hands-on experience in different domains and disciplines
- Significant experience in Linux/Unix administration
- Experience with monitoring solutions such as CloudWatch and Prometheus
- Ability to troubleshoot distributed systems
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with DevOps and tools like Bamboo and Jenkins
- Previous exposure to large-scale systems design
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Background and education
Though not strictly necessary, most professionals in this field typically have a Bachelor’s degree. This is usually in Computer Science, IT, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
Having AWS credentials as well as other professional certifications is also a plus point for developers looking for well-paying jobs. Check out options for a few certified courses down below:
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate
- AWS Developer Fundamentals
- DevOps on AWS Specialization
- AWS Developer Associate Certification Training
Salary of an AWS Developer
A junior developer that’s just starting out can expect an annual salary of up to $81,500 whereas someone who’s in a more senior position can earn up to $175,000 per year. The average salary is $132,000 per year.
Keep in mind that the salary depends largely on the role they occupy and the industry they are in.
In Germany, the salary range for AWS developers is €50,000 – €82,500 whereas in the UK, the range is £35,000 – £110,000.
How much does an AWS developer make?
|US||$81,500 – $175,000|
|Germany||€50,000 – €82,500|
|UK||£35,000 – £110,000|
How much does a freelance AWS developer make?
AWS Developers on freelancermap charge on average:
Rates in this field range between $44 and $106/hour for most freelancers.
The daily rate for AWS Developers (8 working hours) would be around:
Other interesting job profiles
- What does a Performance Engineer do?
- What does a GIS Developer do?
- What Does A PCB Designer Do?
- What does a Shopify Web Designer do?
- What Does A ServiceNow Developer Do?