Magento developers are responsible for developing, customizing, and maintaining e-commerce sites. E-commerce has grown a lot in recent years so Magento developers are in high demand right now. Today, we’re looking at the role of a Magento developer.
What is Magento used for?
Magento is an open-source CMS built-in PHP, and it provides a platform to allow web developers to create e-commerce websites for businesses.
Magento provides customizable core features and serves as an extremely powerful, flexible system that gives developers a high level of control over the functionality of e-commerce stores.
It was released in 2008 by Varied and was developed on the Zend Framework platform.
What does a Magento developer do?
A Magento developer, as the name implies, builds and improves upon Magento eCommerce websites.
Many larger businesses have a team of Magento developers and web designers to fulfill the many skills that are required to fully understand the Magento platform.
Overall, Magento developers can be split into two main categories:
- Front-end Magento Developers: These developers build Magento themes to ensure an eCommerce website looks great, is user-friendly and responsive on all devices.
- Back-end Magento Developers: These developers, on the other hand, focus on the features of a Magento site, adding in code and extensions to support the platform.
Looking for a Magento Developers?
Must-have skills for Magento developers
Magento is a complex platform and its flexibility also means that developers need a range of skills to really master it.
A few skills Magento developers should have include:
- Strong knowledge of the Magento platform: Most importantly, a good Magento developer should have a strong knowledge of Magento itself in order to be able to effectively build any eCommerce store on the platform.
- Problem-solving: Design and programming problems are likely to arise frequently for Magento developers, so having great problem-solving skills and a mind to find a solution to unexpected difficulties will be beneficial.
- Custom CMS development: Skilled Magento developers will be experienced in developing custom CMS themes. They will always need to create or customize CMS themes to meet their client’s needed, so this is a must-have skill for any experienced developer.
Magento developers may also need to be familiar with the integrated development environment (IDE) software, which is used to facilitate programming and automate certain processes for quick application.
Additionally, knowledge of version control software applications is also useful for Magento developers.
Skills required on a Magento developer job description
- Experience in Magento development (Magento 2 or Magento 1).
- Experience in languages: PHP, MySQL.
- Experience in payment gateways and module integration (tracking, emails…)
- Experience with CMS (WordPress and Magento).
- Familiar with multistore e-commerce: language, domain, etc.
- Familiar with the lifecycle development in online shops
- Experience in configuration and deployment of environments with Vagrant and deployment automation (Jenkins)
- Experience with version control applications such as GIT or Subversion
- Knowledge in other areas such as SEO, SEM, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager
- “Magento Developer Certification” and/or other Magento certifications will be a plus
What certifications does a Magento developer need?
There are several certifications a Magento developer should look into acquiring in order to boost your job prospects.
A few of these include:
- Magento Certified Developer (MCD)
- MCD+ – Magento Certified Developer Plus
- Magento Certified Front-end Developer
Take a look at Magento U for all the Magento courses and certifications you can take.
These courses are built by professional instructional designers and are taught by highly experienced Magento professionals, with hands-on exercises and on-demand videos to help participants get comfortable with the Magento platform at their own pace.
What are the tasks and responsibilities of a Magento developer?
Depending on how experienced and at which stage a developer is I a project, a Magento developer’s daily tasks, and responsibilities can differ wildly.
However, the following are a few typical tasks a Magento developer can expect to do:
- Building Magento themes from designs provided by web designers
- Optimizing Magento performance
- Integrating Magento with e-commerce platforms e.g. payment gateways, accounting software
- Customizing widgets and extensions for an e-commerce store
Looking for a new job?
How much does a Magento developer make?
According to Payscale, the average salary for a Magento developer is $69k per year. However, the average salary on Glassdoor indicates that salaries can actually be as high as $120k, so gaining more experience and more skills as a Magento developer can definitely pay off.
What do Magento freelancers earn?
The freelancermap’s index shows an average hourly rate of $35 per hour for Magento freelancers. This is very different depending on the freelancer’s location.
While in Germany the average hourly rate is $77/hour, it’s just $43/hour in Spain and $24/hour in Brazil.
Wondering how to find Magento developers?
With freelancermap it’s easy!
Head over to our freelance database of Magento developers and reach out to present your project or needs. You can contact as many professionals as you want and you will receive different proposals from developers all over the world.
If you find the perfect fit, there are no commission fees, so bring your project forward!
Do you work with Magento? Are you looking into getting certified as a Magento developer? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Browse more IT job profiles: