A Mendix developer’s primary role is to design, build and improve mobile and web applications using the app platform Mendix. They integrate the Mendix platform with existing business or enterprise applications and are present throughout the application development lifecycle. What does a Mendix developer do?
What is Mendix?
Mendix is a low-code, high productivity application platform that allows developers to build, test, deploy and also improve applications at scale.
It is an ideal platform for developers as it allows them to design and create applications in conjunction with Atlas UI, a flexible design system made for creating engaging and exceptional user experiences.
The platform is designed to speed up enterprise app delivery across various application development lifecycles and also allows developers to implement both Agile and DevOps best practices.
Mendix offers both no-code and low-code options in their completely integrated platform and also allows developers to connect AI and cognitive services to create smart applications.
Responsibilities of a Mendix developer
Mendix developers are in charge of using the Mendix platform to create applications for enterprises or businesses. They are also often required to integrate the platform with existing solutions within a company’s framework.
These developers work closely with business analytics and other development teams to understand the business requirements, help maintain the quality and consistency of the applications and are generally present throughout the application lifecycle.
They test and troubleshoot applications and monitor quality and performance. Developers are also in charge of providing solutions that help improve business value.
They are often also required to document technical specifications, report any updates to the management in charge.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a Mendix developer?
- Create applications for enterprises or businesses using the Mendix platform
- Integrate the platform with any existing solutions within a company’s framework
- Work closely with business analytics and other development teams to understand business requirements
- Help maintain quality and consistency of applications
- Be present throughout the application lifecycle
- Test and troubleshoot applications
- Monitor application quality and performance
- Provide solutions that can help improve business value
- Document technical applications
- Report any updates to management in charge
Looking for a Mendix developer?
Find the right freelancers here
Skills of a Mendix developer
Mendix developers have expert knowledge in all things connected to Mendix and have experience developing applications, both web and mobile, using the platform.
They are skilled when it comes to database structures and design and are proficient in app development. They have knowledge of a few programming languages such as Java, C++, Python or Ruby and are familiar with Agile and DevOps.
These developers also have knowledge of the .NET software framework and are familiar with Scrum as well as a few Business Process Management tools such as Lombardi and Pega. They are able to provide day-to-day support for the application they’re working on and are able to manage multiple priorities at any given time.
Mendix developers have the ability to master various web technologies and techniques and are able to adopt new technology to meet application requirements. They have strong communication skills, sharp attention to detail and are able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
What are the skills of a Mendix developer?
- Expert knowledge in Mendix
- Experience in application development using Mendix
- Skilled in database structures and design
- Proficiency in app development
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Java and Python
- Familiarity with Agile and DevOps
- Familiarity with Business Process Management tools such as Lombardi
- Ability to provide day-to-day support for applications
- Knowledge of .NET software framework
- Familiarity with Scrum
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at a time
- Ability to master various web technologies and techniques
- Skilled in adopting new technology to meet application requirements
- Strong communication skills
- Sharp attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
A Bachelor’s degree is not strictly needed to become a Mendix developer. Although having one in Computer Science or IT may be beneficial.
In reality, most Mendix developers are self-taught. If you have enough experience with app development and the aforementioned skills and enjoy learning new developing technologies, you can find work as a Mendix developer.
There are also a few Mendix training courses online that you can benefit from. Check out some options for these down below:
- Mendix Developer Certification Program
- Get started with Mendix Academy
- Mendix Development Course For Beginners
- Mendix : Low-code Application Development Course
You can expect a good salary figure as a Mendix developer. On average, junior developers can earn an annual salary of about $65,000. This number increases to about $88,000 with a few years of experience and advanced skills.
Senior developers on the other hand can earn up to $110,000 a year.
How much do Mendix developers earn?
How much do freelance Mendix developers earn?
The freelancermap rate index in April 2021 shows an average hourly rate of $133. Considering an 8-hour working day, freelance Mendix developers make about $1064 a day.