A database developer’s primary role is to design, program, develop and implement database systems. They tailor database systems precisely to the company in question and its needs. The profession includes many tasks from designing the database to maintaining data integrity. What does a database developer do?
What is a Database?
A database is an organized collection of structured information or data that is typically stored electronically on a computer system. A database is usually controlled by a database management system (DBMS).
Together, the data and the DBMS as well as the associated applications are referred to as the database system, which is often limited to the pure database.
A database has to deal with large amounts of data efficiently, consistently and permanently. In concrete terms, this means that the database permanently stores the data and makes it available for use.
In IT, databases are differentiated according to their organizational approach. The most common approach is the relational database. It is a collection of tables that define the data so that it can be reordered and retrieved in various ways.
In the case of decentralized databases, the data stock can be distributed and compared to different locations in the company network. An object-oriented programmed database consists of data that is organized in object classes and subclasses.
Tasks and activities of a Database Developer
The primary task of a developer is to design an efficient database that meets the needs and expectations of its users. Most companies today have a lot of and very complex data to manage.
They must ensure that all this data is intelligently stored, processed and, if necessary, made available quickly to the authorized persons.
The developer structures the company data and defines the indexing, procedures, functions and other parameters. They also check and evaluate the feasibility and costs of the implementation and document the process.
Developers create a concept which, in addition to the technical requirements, also includes the requirements for data protection and data integrity. They also designs the user interface and defines the guidelines for data backup.
After installing and configuring the database system, the developer instructs the users in how to use the new database, creates user documentation and user guidelines, and trains the database administrator.
Tasks and responsibilities of a Database developer:
- Design efficient databases that meet the needs and expectations of its users
- Ensure all data is intelligently store and processed
- Make data available to authorized persons
- Structure company data
- Define indexing, procedures, functions and other parameters
- Check and evaluate feasibility and costs of implementation
- Document processes
- Create concepts that includes requirements for data protection and data integrity
- Design user interface
- Define guidelines for data backup
- Install and configure database system
- Instruct users how to use the new database,
- Create user documentation and user guidelines
- Train database administrator
Are you looking for a database developer?
Find the right freelancer here
Skills of a Database Developer
Database developers primarily have knowledge of SQL, T-SQL and PL / SQL, DB2 and experience with Oracle databases. Knowledge of non-relational databases (NoSQL) is also required, as is knowledge on how to prepare data.
They must have knowledge of various hardware and software, must be able to perform system analysis and perform cost calculations. They must also have experience with project management, system integration and quality testing.
In addition to all the technical skills, good communication skills, teamwork, flexibility, analytical thinking and resilience to high psychological stress are particularly helpful.
Skills of a Database developer:
- Proficient knowledge of SQL, T-SQL and PL / SQL, DB2
- Experience with Oracle databases
- Knowledge of non-relational databases like NoSQL
- Knowing how to prepare data
- Knowledge of various hardware and software
- Ability to perform system analysis
- Ability to perform cost calculations
- Experience with project management, system integration and quality testing
- Knowledge of operating systems like Windows and Linux
- Experience with .NET, application servers, interfaces and various IT management tools
- Knowledge of programming languages like C ++, Java, C #, etc.
- Experience with page description languages like HTML
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer programming or any other related field is usually the first step in becoming a database developer.
Additionally, training and certification also go a long way in impressing potential employers. Shown below are a few of these courses:
- Database Development
- Become a Database Developer
- Python + SQL + Tableau
- Building Database Web App PHP | OOP | PDO | AJAX | MySQL
The salary of a database developer depends largely on the position and industry they work in.
For someone that’s just starting out, the annual salary can be up to $52,000. Database developers with a few years of experience behind them can earn up to $76,000 whereas developers at a more senior position can earn up to $109,000 annually.
In Germany, the salary range for database developers is around €38,000 to €67,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £24,000 to £48,000.
How much does a Database Developer make?
What does a freelance Database Developer earn?
|Average rate Database Developers (2022)||$64/hr|
According to freelancermap’s price and rate index in September 2022, freelance Database Developers charge $64/hour on average.
Freelance rates in Database Development range between $26 and $86 for the majority of freelancers.
Considering a freelance rate of $64/hour, a freelancer would charge $512/day for an 8-hour working day.
Looking for a job as a database developer?
Find IT jobs
Other interesting job profiles
- What Does An LMS Administrator Do?
- What does an OBIEE Developer do?
- What does an AEM developer do?
- What does a Performance Engineer do?
- Laravel vs. Angular React Developer – Their Pros and Cons