The primary role of an Informatica developer is to develop, debug, maintain and test Informatica software applications that support the business needs of an organization. This includes creating solutions for databases that align with the needs of a company or organization. What does an Informatica developer do?
What is Informatica?
Informatica is a data integration tool based on the ETL architecture. It provides data integration software and services for various companies, industries, and government organizations such as telecommunications, health, financial, and insurance services.
Almost every company processes a large amount of data these days. The data comes from various sources and needs to be processed in order to obtain insightful information for important business decisions. But quite often, data of this size comes with challenges.
For example, the data could be in any format, in multiple databases or divided into a number of unstructured files. The data then needs to be collected, combined, compared and used as a seamless whole. However, various databases don’t communicate or work well with one another.
Many organizations that have implemented interfaces between databases face difficulties because each database pair requires a unique interface and changes in one database can result in an update in other interfaces.
All of these problems can be solved by data integration. Data integration technologies work by communicating data from various databases and formats. There are separate architectures in data integration technology. Informatica uses the ETL (Extract, Transform & Load) architecture, the most popular architecture for data integration.
Roles and responsibilities of an Informatica developer
The primary role of an Informatica developer or ETL developer is to handle proper data storage for a company or organization. They use Informatica software to design and maintain data storage systems as well as assess the data requirements that a company may have.
Informatica developers load and test available data and analyze data warehousing systems and are in charge of resolving any issues that may arise and providing solutions for them. They are also in charge of creating proper technical documentation outlining the entire process.
An important part of a developer’s job is to develop data warehousing systems by using Informatica tools. They then smoothly integrate these warehousing systems with an organization or company’s existing systems and troubleshoot and debug any issues, should they arise.
An Informatica developer ensures that the requirements for all the processes have been met and are required to conduct quality checks on the stored data on a regular basis.
What are the roles and responsibilities of an Informatica developer?
- Handle proper data storage for a company or organization
- Use Informatica software to design and maintain data storage systems
- Assess the data requirements that a company may have
- Load and test available data
- Analyze data warehousing systems
- Resolve and provide solutions to any issues that may arrive
- Create proper technical documentation outlining the entire process
- Develop data warehousing systems by using Informatica tools
- Integrate warehousing systems with an organization or company’s existing systems
- Troubleshoot and debug any issues while integrating
- Ensure that the requirements for all the processes have been met
- Conduct quality checks on the stored data on a regular basis
Are you looking for an Informatica Developer?
Find the right freelancer here
What are the skills required for Informatica Developer?
The most important skill that an Informatica developer has is proficiency in computer programming, coding and a thorough understanding of how operating and database systems work.
They also have expert understanding of Informatica Components and are able to implement them into production whilst also providing post production support for the implemented components.
They are an expert when it comes to ETL tools and are familiar with various software development practices. They also have knowledge of SQL and are skilled in various programming languages such as Python and Bash.
Apart from technical skills, Informatica developers also possess strong communication skills, are able to think analytically, collaborate well with others and are organized and efficient. They are also able to quickly assess a problem and find solutions and have strong creative skills.
What are the skills of an Informatica developer?
- Proficiency in computer programming and coding
- Thorough understanding of how operating and database systems work
- Expert understanding of Informatica components
- Ability to implement components into production
- Ability to provide post production support for the implemented components
- Expert with ETL tools
- Familiarity with various software developments practices
- Knowledge of SQL
- Knowledge of various programming languages such as Python and Bash
- Strong communication skills
- Analytical thinking
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Efficiency in performing tasks
- Strong problem solving skills
Join our IT freelance community now
An Informatica developer usually has a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or any other related field. It’s almost impossible to become a developer without one. Some developers also have Master’s degrees, though it’s not a necessity.
Certification and training also go a long way in the eyes of your future employers. Shown below are a few courses that you might consider:
- Informatica Tutorial – Online Training
- Developer Track
- Informatica Certification Training Course
- Informatica Training
The salary for each Informatica developer depends on the position they occupy. A junior developer that’s just starting out can earn up to $65,000 per year while a developer in a more senior position can earn up to $122,000 per year. The average salary for an Informatica developer is $88,000 per annual year.
In Germany, the salary range is €44,300 – €76,900 while in the UK, the range is £54,000 – £55,000.
How much does an Informatica developer earn?
How much does a freelance Informatica Developer make?
According to the freelancermap index, the average freelance rate for an Informatica intelligence developer is $90/hr. Extrapolated to an 8 hour day, this equates to $720 per day (freelancermap index February 2021).
Looking for a job as an Informatica Developer?
Find IT jobs