A ServiceNow developer is in charge of managing the ServiceNow platform that an organisation uses to manage its business operations and processes. They work with upper management to recognise the organisation’s requirements and develop solutions to meet those needs. What does a ServiceNow developer do?
A ServiceNow developer is a key member of any organisation that makes use of ServiceNow. ServiceNow is a central tool for problem solving and workflows without media discontinuity, which combines various databases, from notes to emails to chats, into a single database.
It enables a bundled flow of information from all systems and is loved for its consistent workflows. In addition, it delivers fast results, which leads to a high level of acceptance among both employees and customers.
ServiceNow developers oversee all operations pertaining to this software and are in charge of configuring it and ensuring it meets the needs of users.
Are ServiceNow developers in demand? Considering the fact that ServiceNow is growing at an exponential rate across various industries, it is safe to say that we can expect a rise in demand for ServiceNow developers.
Developers analyse technical development requirements and provide documentation and reports of the analyses. They also identify any deficiencies within the applications and provide solutions for them, usually deploying them in a test environment.
They are in charge of analysing system performance issues, providing expertise for all technical issues related to development and figuring out performance enhancements, where necessary.
Lastly, ServiceNow developers are in charge of configuring and creating custom workflows as well as performing code reviews to ensure that the quality standards are being met.
What are the responsibilities of a ServiceNow developer?
- Develop and troubleshoot ServiceNow applications
- Integrate ServiceNow applications with other programs
- Analyse technical development requirements
- Provide documentation and reports of the analyses
- Identify any deficiencies within the applications and provide solutions for them
- Deploy solutions in a test environment
- Analyse system performance issues
- Provide expertise for all technical issues related to development
- Configure and create custom workflows
- Perform code reviews to ensure that the quality standards are being met
They have experience in API integrations with other systems and have a strong understanding of Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban.
These developers also have experience with the development and implementation of ServiceNow ITSM modules such as Incident Management, Problem Management, Knowledge Management, etc.
They have strong troubleshooting, problem-solving, mathematical, and analytical skills and are able to communicate effectively – both orally and in writing.
What are the skills of a ServiceNow developer?
- Extensive knowledge of the ServiceNow platform
- Strong understanding of regional databases such as MYSQL and SQL
- Experience in API integrations with other systems
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
- Experience with the development and implementation of ServiceNow ITSM modules
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Good mathematical and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work independently
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
How do I become a ServiceNow developer? To work as a ServiceNow developer, it is highly recommended that you obtain a CSA (Certified System Administrator) certification. As most employees look for developers with this certification.
While a Bachelor’s degree is not strictly needed to work as a ServiceNow developer, it certainly helps your chances of getting hired.
You can also boost your career prospects by developing your knowledge through online courses. Check out options for these down below:
- The Complete ServiceNow Developer Course
- ServiceNow Training And Certification
- All You Need to Know About REST Integration In ServiceNow
The salary of a ServiceNow developer depends largely on factors such as industry, role, and location. Usually though, for junior-level roles, the annual starting salary in the US is up to $97,500. The average salary with a few years of experience is closer to $116,000. At senior level roles with considerable professional experience, annual salaries can go up to $146,250.
In Germany, the salary range for ServiceNow developers is €56,000-€76,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £42,500 – £78,000.
What is the salary range of ServiceNow developers?
|US||$97,500 – $146,250|
|Germany||€56,000 – €76,000|
|UK||£42,500 – £78,000|
How much do freelance ServiceNow developers make?
The freelancermap rate index in May 2022 shows an average hourly rate of $92. Considering an 8-hour working day, freelance developers make about $736 a day.