A Mobile Developer – also known as a mobile app developer or an app developer – is someone who designs, develops, and implements mobile applications. They are responsible for the development of these software applications in line with the appropriate mobile platforms. Let’s take a closer look at the role!
The role of a Mobile Developer
The world has quickly seen the rise of a new digital age. Today, nearly every aspect of our lives is mobile. Devices like tablets and smartphones have become an integral part of everyday life for many consumers.
These digital helpers have made many things easier – from simple tasks such as receiving and sending emails, to streaming digital entertainment, and even dealing with practical issues such as online banking or health management.
This is where a Mobile Developer comes into play.
The wider the range of applications for digital devices, the more necessary are developers who can program software for these devices. As a Mobile Developer, you specialize in mobile technology such as building apps for major platforms such as Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS, and Microsoft’s Windows Phone.
Depending on your specialization as a Mobile Developer, your job title may differ or get more specific. For e.g, if you specialize in Android development, you may also be referred to as an Android Developer or Android App Developer.
As a mobile developer, you are constantly looking for innovative IT solutions. You turn new ideas into apps for smartphones and tablets. This requires robust technical knowledge and the spectrum of applications ranges from casual games to helpful service apps and complex communication tools.
Looking for a Mobile Developer? Find them on freelancermap!
> Browse the latest Mobile Developer profiles
Responsibilities of a Mobile App Developer
Every mobile development project starts off with an idea. The first task of a mobile developer is to understand this idea and what the client is trying to achieve with the application. This allows the mobile developer to determine what the implementation should look like.
The App Developer is then responsible for the technical feasibility and how to comply with the guidelines of the app store operators. A developer basically implements the wishes of customers’ mobile applications. They consult with function designers, UX designers, UI designers, and other programmers. In addition, mobile developers ensure that the functional and technical side of the application works properly.
They also check whether the front end and back end of the app are correctly linked. Another task is to further develop concepts of existing apps. But it doesn’t end here. It is also part of the job profile to create a detailed time and cost estimate for a potential project.
What are the tasks of a mobile developer?
- Working out customer needs and converting them into technical requirements
- Developing application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality
- Cooperation with function designers, UX designers, UI designers and programmers
- Implementation of new and further development of existing apps
- Consultation with the customer and the development team
- Ensure coherence between the functional and the technical side
- App development (in collaboration with the rest of the development team)
- Ensuring the correct linking of the backend and frontend
- Keeping up to date with the terminology, concepts and best practices for coding mobile apps
- Using and adapting existing web applications for apps
- Working closely with colleagues to constantly innovate app functionality and design
On the lookout for your next development role?
Browse our Mobile Developer job listings
Skills and Abilities
Further technical tools are required depending on the platform of your specialization. If iOS is the operating system of your choice, you cannot avoid Objective-C or Swift.
As an Android developer, Java and the popular IDE Eclipse are part of your toolbox. But the cross-platform programming language Kotlin is now fully integrated into Google’s framework. For Windows fans, C# and Visual Studio should be old friends.
A basic requirement for your work is analytical and structured thinking. Your communication skills are also important as not only are you in contact with customers but also when working with a team.
What skills are needed for a mobile app developer?
- Experience as a frontend developer for mobile devices
- Knowledge of Java web applications
- Knowledge of the programming languages Objective-C and Swift
- Know-how about the connection of backend systems (WebServices, XML, JSON, REST)
- Knowledge of test-driven development and continuous
- Strong motivation and driven team player
- Quality awareness and project management skills
- Enjoy working independently and solving problems
- Openness to new technologies and approaches
- Readiness for lifelong learning
- Creative thinking and out of the box approach
How do you become a mobile developer?
There is no dedicated training to work in the profession of a developer. While the general path leads through an IT degree, there are also many career changers who have found a passion for development and are self-taught experts in the field.
Alternatively, there are specialized courses and certifications you can pursue if you’re looking at a career change or have an interest in mobile development. These include:
- Edureka Mobile Development Courses – Android and iOS
- Mobile Application Development Specialist & Expert Certifications from Learning Tree
- Google Developers Certification – Associate Android Developer
- MCSD App Builder: Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer App Builder
Is Mobile App Development a Good Career?
Apps are booming, so the demand for app developers is huge. The job market opportunities for aspiring mobile developers are incomparably good because the field of mobile applications is relatively new and there are comparatively few available specialists in the field.
Lately, more and more companies have been enjoying the luxury of employing their own app developers. You will find accommodation in practically all industries. Depending on the size of the company, you sometimes work closely with the marketing department. You develop ideas together and present the products in an app even better.
Here are some common industries and sectors you can work in:
- Financial services
- Automotive industry
- Medical technology
Mobile Developer Salary
The salary of mobile developers is in the upper range but can vary hugely from industry to industry and can vary depending on the company.
The starting salary in the US is generally around $44,000 annually. On average, annual salaries are around the $127,000 mark, while high earners with relevant work experience can earn an annual gross salary of $200,000 or more.
In other countries, such as Germany, the mobile developer’s salary ranges between €39,000 € and €78,000.
How much do mobile developers make?
What is the average freelance rate of an app developer?
The average freelance hourly rate of an app developer is $63 per hour (freelancermap rate index as of July 2020). Extrapolated to an 8-hour day, the daily rate is around $504.