Ruby on Rails Developer(s) are IT experts who write, develop, test, and implement new software and web applications in the Ruby on Rails framework. But what exactly does a Ruby on Rails developer? Let’s see what it takes to become an RoR expert!
What is Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails is a framework for developing web-based software. It is implemented in the Ruby programming language, a back-end language.
Ruby by itself was created in 1993 by Yukihiro Matsumoto and is a flexible and precise language. It allows for the possibility of organizing written code in a more efficient way. The Ruby syntax is based on blocks of code, so errors are avoided when changing the instruction line.
The Ruby language, however, did not rise to international fame until 15 years later, in 2008, five years after being combined with a framework called Rails.
Rails extends the Ruby language in the same way that .NET, Spring, or Django extend C#, Java, or Python, respectively.
This combination resulted in the framework known now as Ruby on Rails (RoR). ROR has seen an increase in popularity among developers in recent years because of its simplicity and its foundation in agile methodologies.
Why Ruby on Rails?
Rails offer the full range of functions for the development and operation of a web application such as:
- Connection to all relevant database systems
- Implementation of controllers
- Answer inquiries from the WWW
- Its own template functionality for preparing the data
- Own routing engine for configuring the query and response behavior.
Ruby on Rails Developer Responsibilities
A Ruby on Rails Developer is a web or software developer who works with the Ruby on Rails framework. RoR developers often work for software companies or in larger organizations in the IT department.
More and more websites and applications use Ruby on Rails and so the field of work of Ruby developers is growing.
Ruby on Rails developers usually develop back-end components, connecting applications with other web services, and help front-end developers by integrating their work with the application.
Typical Ruby on Rails developers tasks include:
- Writing, developing, testing, and implementing new software and web applications in Ruby
- Develop back-end components and integrate them with front-end
- Testing and improving existing Ruby software
- Create sufficient documentation of the software
- Offer customers specific advice and suggestions in the Ruby area
- Creation, administration, and maintenance of APIs
- Carry out troubleshooting in appropriate cases
Seeking a Ruby on Rails Developer?
RoR Developer for hire
An RoR developer must also be able to analyze requirements and convert them into detailed specifications. Good mathematical skills and problem-solving skills are also essential.
Additionally, certain soft skills can also make or break a good developer.
Developers often work with a team of people and so being an active and enthusiastic key player is ideal. You should also be able to adapt to the ever-changing IT landscape by staying up to date with new launches and releases.
Additionally, skills required for a Ruby on Rails Developer include:
- Good understanding of the syntax of the Ruby language
- Knowledge of RoR and libraries (Resque or RSpec)
- Knowledge of OOP
- Familiarity with automated testing, continuous integration
- Experience in handling and developing APIs
- Knowledge of Mocking, MVC, RESTful
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Knowledge of basic design principles for an app
- Skilled at code versioning tools such as Git, Mercurial, or SVN
- Enthusiasm for emerging technologies and methods
- Pragmatism, reliability, and curiosity
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
How do you become a Ruby Developer?
In addition to mastering the programming language, Ruby developers usually need to have a higher education or a university degree. A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or IT courses is ideal.
Furthermore, numerous certifications and training courses are offered by private institutions and companies. Some options to consider to improve your Ruby on Rails skills:
- Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Examination
- Ruby on Rails Certification Training by Edureka
- Professional Certificate in Agile Development Using Ruby on Rails
- Ruby On Rails Training by Knowledge Hut
Looking for a job as a Ruby on Rails Developer?
Find RoR jobs on freelancermap
Ruby on Rails Developer Salary
As the demand for Ruby on Rails Developers holds steady, this role sees a higher remuneration package than other IT roles. The starting salary of a Ruby on Rails developer is around $82,875 gross per year. Later in working life, the average annual salary is around $132,500 per year. Top candidates earn up to $170,000 per year.
In Germany, an RoR developer can expect an annual salary of around 51.000 €.
How much does a Ruby on Rails developer earn?
|Junior Salary||$ 82,875|
|Senior Salary||$ 170,000|
And freelance RoR developers?
The hourly rate for freelance RoR Developers is on average $76 per hour. For an 8-hour working day, the daily rate is $608 per day.
Read through more IT roles: