A Xamarin developer uses Xamarin, an open-source tool, to design, develop, and build cross-platform mobile applications for both Android & iOS apps. The main benefit awarded to these developers is that Xamarin lets them write all their code in a single language. What does a Xamarin developer do?
Xamarin is intended for developers who are used to working with C# and .NET. Developers use the framework to develop native apps for mobile platforms without switching to a new programming language.
If you want to offer native apps, you either have to design your own version for Android and iOS (and possibly Windows Phone) or rely on a framework.
Xamarin provides C# and .NET developers with numerous tools to enable the development of a platform-independent app with familiar means. On the end device, it then behaves like a native app created in the programming language being considered.
Are Xamarin developers in demand? Xamarin is one of the most popular frameworks to be used by developers across the world. And as the digital revolution rapidly expands the globe, it can be predicted that Xamarin will continue to grow more in-demand.
Xamarin developers are responsible for designing and maintaining mobile applications for both Android and iOS. They troubleshoot and resolve any defects that may arise and are in charge of maintaining existing code.
These developers work with analysts to define system requirements, develop quality products and deliver them on schedule, and work with the functional testers to ensure accuracy.
They are constantly researching and learning about new technologies and are required to participate in design review to provide a technical perspective on implementation.
They evaluate the best approach to solve problems, produce technical documentation and present solutions and recommendations to stakeholders.
What are the responsibilities of a Xamarin developer?
- Design and maintain mobile applications for both Android and iOS
- Troubleshoot and resolve any defects that may arise
- Maintain existing code
- Work with analysts to define system requirements
- Develop quality products and deliver them on schedule
- Work with the functional testers to ensure accuracy
- Research and learn about new technologies
- Participate in design review to provide a technical perspective on implementation
- Evaluate the best approach to solve problems
- Produce technical documentation
- Present solutions and recommendations to stakeholders
They have a strong understanding of Object-Oriented analysis and an in-depth understanding of iOS and Android SDKs.
These developers have extensive experience with Xamarin Studio and/or Visual Studio and are able to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests. They are also familiar with build tools such as DevOps and Jenkins.
Xamarin developers have excellent communication skills and have the ability to quickly learn and work well under pressure.
What are the skills of a Xamarin developer?
- Extensive knowledge of Xamarin
- Knowledge of version control systems, such as Azure DevOps, TFS and GIT
- Strong understanding of Object-Oriented analysis
- In-depth understanding of iOS and Android SDKs
- Extensive experience with Xamarin Studio and/or Visual Studio
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Familiarity with build tools such as DevOps and Jenkins
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn and work well under pressure
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
How do I become a Xamarin developer? You don’t necessarily need to have a Bachelor’s degree to work as a Xamarin developer but having one, especially in fields like Computer Science and IT, can be helpful.
You can always boost your chances of finding the right job by obtaining certifications and completing courses online. Options for these can be found below:
- The Advanced Xamarin Developer Masterclass
- Beginning Mobile Development with Xamarin
- The Complete Xamarin Developer Course: iOS And Android!
- Xamarin Android: Learn to Build Native Android Apps With C#
The salary of a Xamarin developer can vary depending on the role and industry they are in.
Entry-level developers and beginners can earn approximately $61,000 annually. The average salary for developers with a few years of experience is $117,700 whereas for senior developers, the salary can go up to $193,000.
In Germany, the salary range is €36,000-€69,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £24,000-£69,000.
What is the salary range of Xamarin developers?
|US||$61,000 – $193,000|
|Germany||€36,000 – €69,000|
|UK||£24,000 – £69,000|
How much do freelance Xamarin developers earn?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a Xamarin developer is $76. Considering an 8-hour working day, the daily rate would be around $608 (freelancermap price index – May 2022).