Motion designers are responsible for creating art for the internet, TV and movies. They use visual effects, animation, and film techniques to bring creations to life. If you were to combine graphic design with audio and a touch of virtual reality, you’d essentially be describing motion design. What does a motion designer do?
Motion design is the creation of animations using moving images and sound effects. Graphics, typography and sounds are used in this design discipline. Motion design can be used in many ways in film production, for example for animated characters, diagrams and title sequences.
Motion designers, or motion graphics designers, are responsible for the audiovisual processing of moving images. As specialists in animation and visual effects, these designers play an important role in the production process.
They work closely with the director and with the post-production team. While motion designers used drawings, paintings and self-made models back in the day, professional animation programs (such as Adobe After Effects) are now used in the industry.
Are motion designers in demand? Because of the rise in demand for animation and considering the fact that more and more companies are now using motion to boost their brand visibility and social media strategies, it is safe to say that the demand for motion designers has never been higher.
Looking for expert motion designers?
Find the right freelancer for you here
Responsibilities and duties
A motion designer is in charge of producing moving images. In order to do so, they have to work with illustrations, photography and sound along with typography, film and dramaturgy.
They design and animate graphics and videos for various media and collaborate with other art and creative teams to select the right audio, video, colours, animation, etc. for graphic design.
These designers create layouts, scribbles and storyboards and are responsible for developing new moving image formats. They are also required to effectively translate ideas into motion graphics that can be understood by a wide audience.
In addition, motion designers are responsible for all post-production work, including editing video footage, adding effects/elements to enhance motion graphics, colour grading and sound design.
What are the responsibilities of a motion designer?
- Produce moving images
- Design and animate graphics and videos for various media
- Collaborate with art and creative teams to select the right audio, video, colours, and animation
- Create layouts, scribbles and storyboards
- Develop new moving image formats
- Translate ideas into motion graphics that can be understood by a wide audience.
- Edit video footage
- Add effects/elements to enhance motion graphics
- Work with colour grading and sound design
Skills of a motion designer
Motion designers have a keen eye for design and aesthetics and possess strong technical skills especially when it comes to Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro.
It is also preferable for motion designers to be skilled in code – this way they will be able to create animations that are both functional and good in design.
Motion designers are always looking to learn new techniques and technology, are able to solve multitude of challenges through visual design, and are able to mediate creative problems to arrive at the best solution possible.
In terms of soft skills, these designers are well-organised, are able to communicate effectively and have exceptional time management skills. They also possess excellent visual and conceptual skills.
What are the skills of a motion designer?
- Keen eye for design and aesthetics
- Experience with motion designer tools such as Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro
- Basic experience with code
- Ability to create animations that are both functional and good in design
- Desire to keep learning new techniques and technology
- Ability to solve a multitude of challenges through visual design
- Ability to mediate creative problems to arrive at the best solution possible
- Well organised
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional time management skills
- Good visual and conceptual skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
How do I become a motion designer?
To work as a motion designer you must ideally have a Bachelor’s Degree in either Graphic Design or Motion Graphics. You should also have a strong portfolio depicting high-end design skills.
To improve upon your skills, consider obtaining extra certifications and completing online courses. You can find examples of these down below:
- Adobe After Effects: Complete Course from Novice to Expert
- Maya MASH: Motion Graphics
- Kinetic Typography in After Effects: Motion Graphics Course
- After Effects Motion Graphics Beast
How much do motion designers make?
The salary of a motion designer depends primarily on their skills and the position they’re in. Typically though, a designer who’s just starting out can expect a salary of around $59,900 whereas a more skilled and experienced designer can earn around $102,800. The average salary is around $76,210 per year.
In Germany, the salary range for a motion designer is €25,000-€52,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £24,000-£48,000.
Salary of motion designers:
|US||$59,900 – $102,800|
|Germany||€25,000 – €52,000|
|UK||£24,000 – £48,000|
How much do freelance motion designers make?
According to the freelancermap index in July 2022, freelance motion designers make an average of $54 per hour. Considering an 8-hour workday, this comes up to $432 per day.