IT Sales Managers are responsible for managing technical sales within companies. They coordinate sales activities and plan strategies for new customer acquisition. Let’s dive into the role and the responsibilities of an IT sales manager.
What is the Role of an IT Sales Manager?
As the head of the sales department in a company, the sales manager has a great deal of responsibility. They work in companies that employ active sales personnel and contribute significantly to successful sales and sales discussions with customers.
Sales managers or sales directors are also responsible for leading the team of sales and provide the relevant training and mentoring for the team.
The role often requires traveling to customer locations, understanding the client’s needs and providing applicable solutions.
Technical sales managers need to understand technical complex challenges and have experience in the industry the company operates.
Sales managers can be found in practically all companies that actively approach customers, but are also present in companies that predominantly rely on the warm acquisition and are for the most part actively addressed by interested parties.
A typical industry does not exist for sales managers but here are some industries where technical sales managers can be found:
Looking for an IT Sales Manager?
Responsibilities of a Tech Sales Manager
In everyday business, sales managers optimize corporate strategies to increase sales. As the most important sales contact for customers, they often conduct negotiations and decide on conditions and discounts when dealing with potentially large revenue clients.
An essential part of their role is control over the achievement of objectives. Sales managers compare the actual target situation and check whether adjustments need to be made and whether the company achieves the sales targets as planned.
The report figures and results to the management and document all important KPIs for this purpose.
Tech sales managers combine their technical knowledge along with their sales skills to provide advice and support on a range of products, or services provided by the company they work for.
What tasks does an IT sales manager have?
- Setting targets, creating performance plans and maintaining standards for sale representatives
- Planning the sales strategy and Optimization of sales
- Searching for clients who might benefit from the company’s products
- Documentation and control of target achievement
- Negotiation of terms and contracts with clients
- Reporting to the Executive Board
- Develop a scalable sales process and ensure representatives adhere to it correctly
- Plan and preside over weekly sales team meetings
- Maintain a deep understanding of customer needs and monitor their preferences
- Resolve escalated customer issues and customer complaints regarding sales and service
- Tracking sales team metrics and sharing them with company leadership
- Provide pre-sales and post-sales service support and assistance
- Attend marketing events (e.g. conferences or trade shows) representing the company
Hire a Sales Manager for your company!
Technical Sales Manager Skills
Sales managers have know-how on strategies for increasing sales as well as knowledge in the areas of business administration and marketing. Furthermore, they have expertise in the field of the product or service they sell. Since customer meetings and negotiations are often conducted with international partners, they often speak one or more foreign languages. The soft skills of sales managers include assertiveness, communication skills, and sales skills.
What does a tech sales engineer need to know?
- Technical knowledge to identify technical inefficiencies
- Business management know-how
- Knowledge of strategies for increasing sales
- Expertise in the field of the product
- Strong communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Detail-oriented and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Foreign languages for working in international markets
Looking for a new job?
Background and Education
A large number of sales managers have an academic degree. Graduates have studied at universities or technical colleges. Holding a degree in applied science, engineering, mathematics would definitely be a good basis.
However, It is also possible to find your way into the job through commercial training and several year’s experiences in the industry.
The exact entry requirements are different depending on the product the company sells. Looking for a new job as a Sales Manager?
Sales Manager Salary
Very often regular salaries are supported with a commission and goal-related pay. Many companies also offer a company car for visiting clients.
How much do it Sales Managers earn?
Is it a good niche for freelancers?
In order to succeed as a freelancer sales manager, you should have vast experience working as a technical sales engineer.
Working on a contract for a company will be easier if the sales manager has already a network in a particular industry. Freelance technical sales managers often provide assistance in trade shows and conferences, especially when they are hosted somewhere abroad.
Freelancing is definitely a viable option for experienced sales experts.
How much do Freelance Sales Managers charge?
The average freelancer hourly rate for a sales manager is $135. Projected to an 8-hour day, the daily rate is around $1,080 (freelancermap price index – as of December 2019).