An SEO consultant is in charge of planning and managing an organisation’s SEO strategy. They help business owners and heads perform many different types of digital marketing services and use SEO best practices to increase the website traffic of the company they work for. What does an seo consultant do?
SEO consultants are marketing professionals who are responsible for creating and implementing a solid SEO strategy.
They also generally cover a variety of other duties and SEO consulting services such as:
- Web marketing
- Web analytics
- Content strategy planning and;
- Keyword strategy
Is SEO a good career? Even though there is a lot of competition in the SEO market, the sector is booming and growing. In fact, according to LinkedIn, there were more than 47,000 job openings that matched the keyword “SEO” in 2019 alone. Three years on, digitization has shown nothing but growth.
An SEO consultant is primarily responsible for planning, developing and implementing a sound SEO strategy. They work towards ROI maximisation and optimising copy and landing pages for search engine optimization.
They perform keyword research and are responsible for the discovery and expansion of keyword opportunities.
These consultants are expected to research and implement content recommendations for SEO success and must be able to identify key SEO KPIs such as monitoring redirects, click rates, bounce rates etc.
They manage campaign expenses and prepare and present reports regularly to stakeholders. They also identify problems and deficiencies and look for areas of improvement by implementing solutions in a timely manner.
What does an SEO consultant do?
- Plan, develop and implement a strong SEO strategy
- Work towards ROI maximisation for a company
- Optimise copy and landing pages for SEO
- Perform keyword research
- Discover and expand on keyword opportunities
- Research and implement content recommendations for SEO success
- Identify key SEO KPIs
- Manage campaign expenses
- Prepare and present reports regularly to stakeholders
- Identify problems and deficiencies
- Look for areas of improvement by implementing solutions in a timely manner
Looking for an SEO consultant?
> Find expert SEO freelancers here
What skills are needed for SEO? A solid understanding of performance marketing, PPC campaigns, and online customer acquisition is required to work as an SEO consultant.
Consultants must have proven success in SEO and SEM and an in-depth knowledge of website analytics tools such as Google Analytics and WebTrends. They must also be familiar with bid management tools like Click Equations and Marin as well as keyword research tools like SEMRush.
SEO consultants are also required to have experience with CSS or HTML and must be familiar with A/B testing and other testing metrics.
They must have strong communication, negotiation and analytical skills and must be able to successfully evaluate website data and implement solutions.
What are the skills of an SEO consultant?
- Good understanding of performance marketing
- Proven success in SEO and SEM
- Understanding of PPC campaigns
- Strong understanding of online customer acquisition and retention
- In-depth knowledge of website analytics tools such as Google Analytics and WebTrends
- Knowledge of bid management tools like Click Equations and Marin
- Experience with keyword research tools like SEMRush
- Experience with CSS or HTML
- Ability to successfully evaluate website data and implement solutions
- Familiarity with A/B testing and other testing metrics
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Employers generally do look for candidates who have a Bachelor’s degree (in marketing, business, or communications) or an equivalent diploma. That said, it’s important to note that a lot of people don’t usually start off their career in SEO. They usually transition into in by developing their skills and taking courses to get certified.
Options for such courses are as follows:
- Online Search Marketing Course (Professional Diploma)
- Digital Marketing Specialist
- SEO 2022: Training with SEO Expert for Beginners
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Training Course
- Advanced Google Analytics
Looking for your next job in SEO?
> Check the latest SEO projects here
The salary for an SEO consultant can vary largely depending on the industry you’re in. A junior consultant can earn around $22,500 per year whereas a more experienced one can earn $154,500 per year. The average salary is $69,499 per annual year.
In Germany, the salary range is €41,700-€70,550 whereas in the UK, the range is £27,500-£45,000.
What is the salary of an SEO consultant?
What is the salary range of an SEO consultant?
|US||$22,500 – $154,500|
|Germany||€41,700 – €70,550|
|UK||£27,500 – £45,000|
How much do freelance SEO consultants make?
SEO experts on freelancermap charge on average:
Rates in the field of SEO range between $33 and $106/hour for most freelancers.
The daily rate for SEO freelancers (8 working hours) would be around:
Other interesting job profiles
- What does a Brand manager do?
- What Does a Content Manager Do?
- What Does A Blogger Do?
- What does a Digital Marketing consultant do?
- What does a Technical Writer do?