A graphic designer is someone who creates visual concepts for organisations and uses design elements to communicate ideas. They design everything from advertisements and brochures to business logos and reports by use of a computer program. What does a graphic designer do?
A graphic designer combines art and technology to create visuals that represent a company’s brand. They create these designs either by hand or by using computer software packages such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
Their job entails designing concepts by studying relevant information and materials and ensuring projects are completed with high quality and on schedule.
Creativity, flexibility and the ability to work well with others are all important skills that a graphic designer must possess.
Are graphic designer jobs in demand? According to the US Bureau Of Labour Statistics, employment of graphic designers is expected to grow 3% by 2030. This growth may be a bit slower than average but 23,900 openings for graphic designers are projected each year.
Graphic designers are responsible for planning concepts by studying information and materials given to them by the company they work for. They schedule projects, define budget constraints, and prepare rough drafts to present their ideas.
Once approved by management, they then convert drafts into designs by means of necessary equipment and software. These designers make sure to use the appropriate colours and layouts for each graphic and communicate with clients about said layout and design.
They work and collaborate with copywriters, art services, web designers, colleagues and creative directors when necessary.
They are also in charge of testing graphics across various media as well as reviewing and amending final layouts and suggesting improvements when necessary.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a graphic designer?
- Plan concepts by studying relevant information and materials
- Schedule projects
- Define budget constraints
- Prepare rough drafts to present their ideas
- Convert drafts into designs by means of necessary equipment and software
- Use appropriate colours and layouts for each graphic
- Communicate with clients about said layout and design
- Work and collaborate with copywriters, art services, web designers, colleagues and creative directors
- Test graphics across various media
- Review and amend final layouts
- Suggest improvements when necessary
What skill does a graphic designer need? The two most crucial skills that a graphic designer must have is familiarity with design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, and knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles.
They must have a keen eye for aesthetics, details and visual composition and must also have demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio.
Designers must also possess knowledge of typography, multimedia content development, marketing, website design, and corporate identity as well as a basic understanding of browser capabilities.
In terms of non-technical skills, graphic designers must have excellent communication skills, the ability to give and receive criticism and a strong attention to detail. They must also be able to manage their time effectively and work methodically in order to meet deadlines.
What are the skills of a graphic designer?
- Familiarity with design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles
- Keen eye for aesthetics, details and visual composition
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Knowledge of typography
- Familiarity with multimedia content development
- Knowledge of marketing techniques
- Knowledge of website design
- Experience working with corporate identity
- Basic understanding of browser capabilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to give and receive criticism
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work methodically
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
While a Bachelor’s degree in graphic design is not strictly needed, it does help make your profile stand out to your employers. You can also choose to obtain numerous certifications to boost your career prospects. Find options for these down below:
- Graphic Design Masterclass: Learn Graphic Design in Projects
- Canva 2022 Graphic Design Class | Latest Canva Version 3.0
- Graphic Design Specialization
- Graphic Design Foundations in Canva: Theory and Projects
- Advanced Techniques in Adobe Illustrator: 5 Hidden Gems to Speed Up Your Digital Design
Is graphic design a good career? Having a career in graphic design yields a decent amount of money. Designers who are just starting out can expect to earn $33,000 per year whereas senior designers with a lot of experience and an extensive portfolio can earn up to $76,000 per annual year.
The average salary for graphic designers is $50,000 per year.
In Germany, the salary range is €30,000-€62,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £22,000-£46,000.
How much do graphic designers make?
What is the salary range of graphic designers?
|US||$33,000 – $76,000|
|Germany||£22,000 – £46,000|
|UK||€30,000 – €62,000|
How much do freelance graphic designers make?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a graphic designer is $42. Considering an 8-hour working day, the daily rate would be around $336 (freelancermap price index – March 2022).