A chief automation officer is responsible for developing and deploying an automation strategy within a company in an effort to scale automation and build it into a vital strategic competency. Their main goal is to seamlessly integrate automation within all relevant aspects of everyday operations. What does a CAO do?
What is Automation?
Automation is defined as the development and application of technologies that reduce human intervention in processes. Any industry that seeks to reduce repetitive tasks can benefit from automation. However, the industries that use automation the most are:
- Food & Beverage
Automation is a powerful tool that organisations can use to scale itself and cut costs at the same time. The aim of automation is not to replace human jobs but to make them easier and help them be more successful at it.
Responsibilities of a Chief Automation Officer
A chief automation officer is a C-suite executive who is in charge of overseeing the deployment and management of automation processes and measuring the performance of the new processes.
They determine essential KPIs and analyse the data to make actionable decisions. These officers also identify, select and coordinate investments in process automation and ensure that profits are optimised.
CAOs leverage automation technologies such as Robotic Process Automation (RPA), Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Machine Learning (ML) to improve organisational efficiency and reduce manual intervention.
What are the responsibilities of a CAO?
- Overseeing deployment and management of automation processes
- Measuring performance of new processes
- Determining essential KPIs
- Analysing data to make actionable decisions
- Identifying, selecting and coordinating investments in process automation
- Ensuring profits are optimised
- Leveraging automation technologies such as RPA, AI and ML to improve organisational efficiency
- Reducing manual intervention
- Staying up to date with the latest automation trends
Skills of a Chief Automation Officer
A chief automation officer has expertise in several areas of automation including:
- Workload Automation
- Big Data Automation
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- Integration Automation
- Process Automation
- AI and more.
They also have knowledge of technology and operational excellence such as Lean and SixSigma and have experience with digital transformation.
These executives also have strong leadership skills, good problem-solving skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with others.
What are the skills of a CAO?
- Expertise in several areas of automation including:
- Knowledge of technology and operational excellence such as Lean and SixSigma
- Experience with digital transformation
- Strong leadership skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with others
- Ability to innovate business processes
- Passion to achieve overall operational success for organisation
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Background and Education
A CAO usually has a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, business administration, or a related field.
Since it is a C-level executive role, having a Master’s degree is also recommended.
A deep understanding of digital business and industry-specific business process management is also preferable to have. You can choose to obtain certifications to further your knowledge in this department. Check out some options down below:
- The Complete Business Process Management (BPM) Master Class
- Introduction to Network Automation
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Specialization
- Digital Transformation Strategy & Digitalization Excellence
Salary of a Chief Automation Officer
A chief automation officer makes around $124,400 per year on average in the US. On the lower end, these officers can make $33,000 whereas on the higher end, they can make around $200,500 per year.
In Germany, chief automation officers make around €19,300 – €64,900 whereas in the UK, they make around £87,000 – £178,000 per year.
How much do chief automation officers make?
|$33,000 – $200,500
|€19,300 – €64,900
|£87,000 – £178,000
Chief Automation Officer Job Description
If you’re in need of a chief automation officer who can oversee the automation strategy in your organisation, here’s a useful job description template that will help you find the perfect executive.
We are looking for a chief automation officer to oversee the deployment and management of automation processes and measure the performance of the new processes.
– Overseeing deployment and management of automation processes
– Measuring performance of new processes
– Determining essential KPIs
– Analysing data to make actionable decisions
– Identifying, selecting and coordinating investments in process automation
– Ensuring profits are optimised
– Leveraging automation technologies such as RPA, AI and ML to improve organisational efficiency
– Expertise in several areas of automation including:
– Knowledge of technology and operational excellence such as Lean and SixSigma
– Experience with digital transformation
– Strong leadership skills
– Good problem-solving skills
– Ability to collaborate effectively with others
Other interesting job profiles
- What Does A Project Manager Do?
- What Does A User Researcher Do?
- What Does A Cyber Lawyer Do?
- What Does A Supply Chain Director Do?
- What Does A Chief Automation Officer (CAO) Do?