A LIMS consultant is in charge of configuring, implementing, developing and supporting projects and applications related to LIMS. They identify user requirements and business processes and translate these requirements into functional application requirements. What does a LIMS consultant do?
First of all, what is LIMS?
LIMS or Laboratory Information Management System, is a type of software-based solution designed to effectively manage laboratory samples and the data associated with them.
This system provides users with a way to accurately store records of each sample and store it securely. LIMS can also be used to automate laboratory workflows which in turn improves lab productivity and efficiency.
The system enables users to forward any stored results to other systems in the supply chain such as an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning).
LIMS makes it easier for laboratories to track data and considerably reduces the time it takes to record it. There are many different types of LIMS in operation today such as LabWare, CCLAS, CrelioHealth and so on.
What are the responsibilities of a LIMS consultant?
A LIMS consultant is in charge of the configuration and support of a LIMS for a company. They analyse end user requirements, tailor LIMS solutions and implement them through configuration.
They deal with LIMS software installations and configurations and are in charge of their upkeep. Consultants also elicit and prioritize business needs and recommend solutions that meet these needs.
LIMS consultants are sometimes required to provide training courses to relevant teams and are in charge of assisting customers with their testing stages appropriate to their industry. They also understand technical changes and design the appropriate testing for validation processes.
They implement upgrades as required, perform administrative tasks associated with the LIMS and evaluate product enhancements and capabilities.
Responsibilities of a LIMS consultant:
- Configuration and support of a LIMS
- Analysing end user requirements
- Tailoring LIMS solutions and implementing them through configuration
- Dealing with LIMS software installations and configurations
- In charge of LIMS upkeep
- Elicit and prioritize business needs
- Recommend solutions that meet business needs
- Provide training courses to relevant teams
- In charge of assisting customers with their testing stages appropriate to their industry
- Understanding technical changes and designing the appropriate testing for validation processes
- Implementing upgrades as required
- Performing administrative tasks associated with the LIMS
- Evaluating product enhancements and capabilities
Looking for LIMS consultants?
Find the right freelancers here
What are the skills of a LIMS consultant?
LIMS consultants have expert knowledge in at least a few LIMS software solutions such as LabWare and LabVantage. They have experience with relational database design such as Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.
They have strong biotech and pharmaceutical industry experience and expertise and have a deep understanding of laboratory end-to-end processes.
LIMS consultants are skilled at project management and instrument integration and are familiar with standard documentation practices. They also have knowledge of at least one programming language and are familiar with Statistical Quality Control (SQC).
LIMS consultants are extremely detail-oriented, have critical thinking and problem-solving skills and are able to manage time efficiently. They also have excellent communication and documentation skills and have a strong aptitude for IT.
The skills of a LIMS consultant:
- Expert knowledge in at least a few LIMS software solutions such as LabWare and LabVantage
- Experience with relational database design such as Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle
- Strong expertise in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry
- Deep understanding of laboratory end-to-end processes
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with instrument integration
- Familiarity with standard documentation practices
- Knowledge of at least one programming language
- Familiarity with Statistical Quality Control (SQC)
- Strong aptitude for IT
- Excellent communication skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage time efficiently
- Strong documentation skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
How do I become a LIMS consultant?
You generally need at least a Bachelor’s degree to work as a LIMS consultant.This should be in Computer Science, Information Management Systems, IT or a related field. Employers would also prefer candidates that possess Master’s degree though this is not a necessity.
You can also build on your expertise by taking online courses. Check out a few options for these down below:
- Laboratory Information Management Systems Validation (LIMS) Training
- LIMS Training Courses
- Introduction to Laboratory Information Management Systems
How much do LIMS consultants make?
A LIMS consultant who is just starting out can earn a salary of up to $50,000 annually whereas senior LIMS consultants with years of experience behind them can earn up to $134,000. The average salary for consultants is $81,900 per year
The salary of a LIMS consultant:
How much do freelance LIMS consultants make?
According to the freelancermap rate index, freelance LIMS consultants earn an average of $106 per hour. Considering an 8 hour work day, that’s $848 per day.