A Citrix administrator is primarily in charge of managing and looking after Citrix applications. They perform daily health checks on Citrix server farms and are responsible for the maintenance, continuous support and further development of these servers. What does a Citrix administrator do?
What is Citrix?
Citrix is a software company, based in the US, that provides remote, server and cloud computing technologies to individuals. It provides users the chance to run applications on remote computers whilst also giving them access to these applications on their own computer.
The software is made so that individuals belonging to a certain enterprise can work and communicate remotely regardless of what device they use or what network they’re on.
Citrix offers a multitude of intelligent products and solutions related to desktop and application virtualization. Some of these include Citrix XenDesktop, Citrix VDI-in-a-Box and XenClient.
Citrix’s main goal is to create a work-from-anywhere experience for users and to enhance work performance by removing complexity and revolutionizing the future of work.
Responsibilities of a Citrix Administrator
Citrix administrators are responsible for maintaining and managing Citrix applications. They also install and update Xenapp (a Citrix virtual app) farms, design and plan Citrix CVAD environments and develop the infrastructure that the Citrix farms run on.
These IT professionals are in charge of troubleshooting and fixing any technical issues related to Citrix applications and are responsible for the installation and optimization of the Windows server environment as well as the management of Windows systems.
Citrix administrators train users and employees on how to use Citrix applications and are expected to help them with any problems that they may have.
They supervise Citrix server farms, analyze any and all errors, and ensure smooth operation. They are also expected to help in providing innovative solutions and business support and are in charge of coordinating, implementing, and communicating any system changes that are to be made.
What are the responsibilities of a Citrix administrator?
- Maintaining and managing Citrix applications
- Install and update Xenapp farms
- Design and plan Citrix CVA environments
- Develop the infrastructure that the Citrix farms run on
- Troubleshooting and fixing any technical issues related to Citrix applications
- Installing and optimizing Windows server environment
- Managing Windows systems
- Train users and employees on how to use Citrix applications
- Supervising Citrix server farms
- Analyzing errors
- Ensuring smooth operation
- Providing innovative solutions
- Providing business support
- Coordinating, implementing, and communicating any system changes that are to be made
Looking for Citrix administrators?
Find the right freelancers here
Skills of a Citrix Administrator
Citrix administrators are skilled in all things related to Citrix and its many applications and solutions. They are extremely computer proficient and have knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems and environments.
They have strong IT skills and are experienced in the operation of large Citrix infrastructures and server farms. Administrators also demonstrate expertise in computer networks and have strong troubleshooting capabilities.
These professionals are able to analyze networks and system performance and have knowledge of solutions like AppSense, Cloud Gateway, App-V and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
In addition to the technical skills mentioned, Citrix administrators also have strong analytical, communication, teamwork and time management skills.
What are the skills of a Citrix administrator?
- Skilled in all things related to Citrix and its many applications and solutions
- Proficiency in computers
- Knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems and environments
- Strong IT skills
- Experience in the operation of large Citrix infrastructures and server farms
- Expertise in computer networks
- Strong troubleshooting capabilities
- Ability to analyze networks and system performance
- Knowledge of solutions like AppSense, Cloud Gateway, App-V and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Strong time management skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
How do I become a Citrix administrator?
You generally need a Bachelor’s degree to work as a Citrx administrator. Most employers prefer candidates that have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, IT or a related field.
You can also boost your chances of being hired to work as one by enrolling in some online courses. Check out options for these below:
- Citrix XenServer 8.1 LTSR administration
- XenApp 6.5 Administration (CXA-206) Certification Training
- Citrix XenServer 7.1 LTSR Administration
- Citrix Application and Desktop Virtualization – 7.6
Citrix administrators work in all sorts of industries so the salary that they earn depends largely on what industry they are in. Junior administrators can earn up to $58,000 per year whereas the salary for senior administrators can go up to $102,000 per year. The average salary is $75,770.
In Germany, the average salary of Citrix administrators is €36,000 whereas the average in the UK is £37,250.
What do Citrix administrators earn?
How much do freelance Citrix administrators make?
According to the freelancermap rate index, freelance Citrix administrators earn an average of $94 per hour. Considering an 8 hour work day, that’s $752 per day.