Cloud architects are IT all-rounders who specialize in technical issues relating to cloud services. They oversee a company’s cloud computing strategy and are in charge of establishing best practices for cloud usage within an organization. What does a cloud architect do?
What is cloud architecture?
Cloud architecture refers to all of the technology components required to build a cloud. These components may involve everything from databases and software capabilities to cloud resources and applications.
Cloud architecture is a broad term that not only defines these components but also the relationships between them.
There are three major models of cloud architecture. These include:
- Software as a Service (SaaS) – This involves software hosted and maintained on the internet, thereby removing the need for end users to deploy the software locally.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): This as a service provides users with an application platform, often involving middleware services.
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): This is the cloud at its simplest form and involves a third-party provider providing organizations with the necessary infrastructure in return for software and application management.
Responsibilities of a cloud architect
Cloud architects work primarily on the infrastructure of cloud solutions and are constantly developing them. They also create well-informed cloud strategies and develop and organize cloud systems.
They take care of all sorts of applications, including web applications and oversee data and program storage. These architects also manage access to the information stored in the cloud and work with IT security to monitor the company’s cloud privacy.
Cloud architects work with clients to design full-stack solutions using software that fully integrates with that clients’ existing cloud infrastructure and are also able to design scalable Amazon web service applications.
They respond to any technical issues that may arise and offer guidance in infrastructure movement techniques. They also evaluate cloud applications as well as hardware and software at regular intervals.
What are the responsibilities of a cloud architect?
- Work and develop the infrastructure of cloud solutions
- Create well informed cloud strategies
- Develop and organize cloud systems
- Take care of cloud applications
- Oversee data and program storage
- Manage access to the information stored in the cloud
- Work with IT security to monitor a company’s cloud privacy
- Work with clients to design full-stack solutions using software that fully integrates with that clients’ existing cloud infrastructure
- Design scalable Amazon web service applications
- Respond to any technical issues
- Offer guidance in infrastructure movement techniques
- Evaluate cloud applications
- Evaluate hardware and software at regular intervals
Looking for a skilled cloud architect?
Find the right freelancer here
Skills of a cloud architect
Cloud architects have excellent knowledge of cloud computing technologies and are skilled with enterprise architecture and enterprise application integration. They stay up-to-date with the current trends and have knowledge of at least one OS such as Linux, Unix or Solaris.
These architects have knowledge of programming languages and have a deep understanding of networking. They also have in-depth knowledge in the field of computer science and data processing.
Additionally, these architects have strong programming knowledge for software development as well as a strategic understanding for planning and coordinating IT processes.
When it comes to soft skills, cloud architects have excellent social competence due to the fact that they have to mediate between different areas, levels of responsibility and departments. And because of their responsibility for the safety and productivity of the company, they also display a high level of reliability and a sense of duty.
What are the skills of a cloud architect?
- Excellent knowledge of cloud computing technologies
- Skilled with enterprise architecture and enterprise application integration
- Up-to-date with the current trends
- Knowledge of at least one OS such as Linux, Unix or Solaris
- Knowledge of programming languages
- Deep understanding of networking
- In-depth knowledge in the field of computer science and data processing
- Strong programming knowledge for software development
- Strategic understanding for planning and coordinating IT processes
- Excellent social competence
- Highly reliable
- Strong sense of duty
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
A Bachelor’s Degree is often the first step to becoming a Cloud Architect. This can be in the field of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
Training and certification also go a long way and luckily, there are various certification programs and courses online for you to choose from. Check out options for these down below:
- Cloud Architect Certification Training Courses
- Cloud Architect Certification program
- Become an AWS Cloud Architect
- Cloud Architecture: A Beginner’s Guide To Architect Your Cloud
Cloud architects can earn quite a lot but it mostly depends on the role they have and the industry they are in.
Entry-level architects can earn approximately $95,000 annually. The average salary for architects with a few years of experience is $137,200 whereas for senior architects, the salary can go up to $198,000.
The salary range in Germany is between €52,000 to €102,000 while in the UK, it ranges from £49,000 to £100,000.
Salary of a cloud architect:
How much do freelance cloud architects make?
|Average rate Cloud Architects (2022)||$101/hr|
On average, freelance Cloud Architects charge $101/hour (freelancermap’s price and rate index in September 2022).
Freelance rates in Cloud Architecture range between $81 and $121 for the majority of freelancers.
Considering a freelance rate of $101/hour, a freelancer would charge $808/day for an 8-hour working day.
Other interesting job profiles
- What Does An Infrastructure Manager Do?
- What does a Linux Administrator do?
- What does a Systems Engineer do?
- What does an IT Analyst do?
- What does an IT Coordinator do?