Computer engineers are responsible for the entire IT area of a company. Their responsibilities include the selection and installation of hardware and software, maintaining the company’s internal computer network, and programming and optimizing software solutions. What does a computer engineer do?
What is computer engineering?
Computer engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles from both computer science and electrical engineering. It is the process of analyzing and designing all of the hardware, software, and operating systems for a computer system.
The knowledge of both the “body” and the “mind” of a computer helps computer engineers work at the microscopic level and on a large, system-wide scale.
The field of computer engineering is solidly grounded in the principles of computing, mathematics, science, and engineering. It teaches computer engineers the knowledge of both the “body” and the “mind” of a computer and allows them to work at the microscopic level and on a system-wide scale.
What is the difference between computer science and computer engineering?
Computer science and computer engineering are often confused as being the same, but in reality, these two areas are very different.
While the responsibilities of computer scientists are focused more on troubleshooting issues on a software level, computer engineers are trained in software design and the integration of hardware and software.
Responsibilities of a computer engineer
Computer engineers are primarily in charge of managing and designing the computer hardware and software systems of a company. They perform routine checks and ensure that all systems are stable and operating efficiently.
These engineers respond to any computer-related issues and are expected to provide technical support to executive staff members of a company. They also monitor a company’s cloud storage accounts to ensure they remain protected.
They develop protocols for checking and repairing any software bugs, draft any new blueprints needed for computer equipment, and make sure that all existing computer equipment is up-to-date.
Computer engineers develop and install software systems and stay up to date on industry trends and technologies.
What are the responsibilities of a computer engineer?
- Manage and design computer hardware and software
- Perform routine checks
- Ensure all systems are stable and operate efficiently
- Respond to any computer-related issues
- Provide technical support to executive staff members
- Monitor a company’s cloud storage accounts and ensure they remain protected
- Ensure that all existing computer equipment is up-to-date
- Develop protocols for checking and repairing any software bugs
- Draft new blueprints for computer equipment
- Develop and install software systems
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and technologies
Looking for computer engineers?
Find the right freelancer here
Skills of a computer engineer
Computer engineers are skilled at all things related to computers. They have experience working with hardware components and have knowledge of programming languages such as including Python, Java and C#.
These engineers are self-motivated and have basic knowledge of coding, software design, software debugging, software development fundamentals. They also have expert knowledge of computer engineering best practices.
They are skilled in mathematics and possess a basic understanding of integrated system management and content management systems.
Computer engineers are adept at analyzing information, have superior analytical thinking and problem solving skills and have the ability to work well in a team.
What are the skills of a computer engineer?
- Proficiency in computers
- Experience working with hardware components
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python and Java
- Basic knowledge of coding
- Knowledge of software design, debugging and development fundamentals
- Expert knowledge of computer engineering best practices
- Strong mathematics skills
- Basic understanding of integrated system management
- Knowledge of content management systems
- Strong analytical thinking
- Ability to analyze information quickly
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Strong communication skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Computer engineers are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in either Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.
Although a Master’s degree is not required to work as an engineer, employers may lean towards candidates who have them.
Training and certification can also boost your chances of being hired. Luckily, there are various certification programs and courses online for you to choose from. Check out some options for these down below:
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Software Design and Architecture Specialization
- Computer Science: Programming with a Purpose
- Computer Organization and Architecture
The salary of a computer engineer depends on factors such as the role they occupy and the industry they’re in. For new graduates, the annual starting salary is up to $50,000. The average salary with a few years of experience is $75,000 and at senior level roles, the annual salary can go up to $122,000.
In addition to the area of responsibility and industry, region, specialization, and professional experience are also factors that can influence the salary of a computer engineer.
In Germany, computer engineers can expect to earn between €40,000 – €71,000 annually whereas in the UK, engineers can earn between £26,000 – £62,000.
How much do computer engineers earn?
How much do freelance computer engineers make?
The freelancermap rate index in August 2021 shows an average hourly rate of $80. Considering an 8-hour working day, freelance engineers make about $640 a day.