A specialist in connected objects, an IoT engineer develops innovative services that help users to receive, control and manage information. They are also in charge of developing and managing a vast array of IoT devices, platforms, software, hardware and systems through a combination of data, technology and research.
What is IoT?
The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to physical objects – vehicles, household appliances, wearables, and much more – that are connected to the Internet and can therefore transfer data online using embedded sensors.
People around the world use the Internet to access information, communicate with one another, or do business. But it’s not just people who connect to the Internet – numerous products and machines do the same.
IoT is an ever-growing network where all of these devices and products communicate with each other creating a web of smart devices.
One of the goals of the Internet of Things is to make everyday life and work easier through automatic processes without human intervention. In contrast to computers, once they are in operation, they no longer require any control or input from users. IoT is also being increasingly used by companies all over the world due to its efficiency.
Tasks and responsibilities of an IoT Engineer
The primary task of an IoT engineer is the creation and development of the devices, sensors and software that allows the device to connect seamlessly with other systems. They research, create, test and document IoT solutions with integrated systems and devices.
Though the tasks of IoT engineers vary depending on the industry they work in, their duties can include designing, coding, and testing features of devices meant to connect to other systems and devices.
They may also provide solutions to any issues related to the connection of networks and platforms and may also work as service designers by analyzing user needs.
An IoT engineer is also often required to develop software that monitors and executes processes and design platform solutions that are cloud-compatible and work well with IoT applications. They are also required to develop software that allows IoT products to function and connect to other devices.
What are the responsibilities of an IoT engineer?
- Creating and developing devices, sensors and software
- Researching, creating, testing and documenting IoT solutions
- Designing, coding and testing features of IoT devices
- Providing solutions to issues related to the connection of networks and platforms
- Analyzing user needs and working as service designers
- Developing software that monitors and executes processes
- Designing platform solutions that are cloud-compatible and work with IoT applications
- Developing software that allows IoT devices to function and connect to other devices
Looking for an IoT Engineer?
IoT Engineers for hire
Skills of an IoT Engineer
A crucial skill that an IoT Engineer must possess is an in-depth understanding of computer programming and network security. They must also have knowledge of sensors, machine learning and AI and must have experience in working with front-end and back-end systems as well as custom-built firmware and hardware.
IoT engineers must also be familiar with Big Data and machine learning algorithms and have a firm understanding of IoT architecture and principles as well as device and data security.
Apart from all the technical skills, IoT engineers must be able to work and collaborate with others, have strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
What are the skills of an IoT engineer?
- In-depth understanding of computer programming and network security
- Proficient knowledge of sensors
- Knowledge of machine learning and AI
- Experience working with front-end and back-end systems
- Experience with custom-build firmware and hardware
- Knowledge of software like Netbeast, Neura, OpenSensors and Node
- Expert knowledge of Linux OS
- Familiarity with Big Data and machine learning algorithms
- Firm understanding of IoT architecture and principles
- Knowledge of device and data security
- Work and collaborate well with others
- Strong communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Working as an IoT engineer generally requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or an equivalent technical field. Mastery and experience of programming languages is also crucial.
The salary of an IoT engineer may vary depending on a number of factors such as the job they have and the industry they are in. Someone that’s just starting out can earn upto $110,000 per year whereas an an engineer with a bit of experience and additional skills can earn up to $129,300. An engineer in a more senior position can earn up to $144,600 annually.
How much does an IoT Engineer make?
What does a freelance IoT Engineer earn?
The average freelancer hourly rate of an IoT Engineer is $96. Considering an 8-hour working day, the daily rate would be around $768 (freelancermap price index – February 2021).
Looking for a job as an IoT engineer?
Find IT jobs