An HR manager plans, coordinates and develops the administrative function of a business. They are responsible for managing the needs and issues that any employees may have and also oversee the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of new employees. What does an HR manager do?
What is the role of an HR Manager? An HR manager plays a key role in any organisation. They are more or less responsible for developing a company’s culture and are there to facilitate communication between a company’s managers and its employees.
These managers are primarily in charge of enforcing the functions of HR, some of which include:
- Recruitment and selection
- Training and development
- Health and safety
- Employee well-being
- Compensation and benefits
- Employment law and compliance
Are HR manager jobs in demand? According to the US Bureau of Labour, employment of HR managers is projected to grow 9%, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
An HR manager is primarily responsible for recruiting excellent staff and developing and implementing strategies that align with the overall business strategy of the company.
They partner with the leadership team to understand and execute said strategies and carry out necessary administrative duties when needed. They also train, coach and counsel employees and conduct performance and wage reviews.
These managers maintain and nurture a positive working environment and handle any workplace investigations, disciplinary and termination procedures.
They create clear reports, develop clear policies, and maintain employee and workplace privacy. They also report to management when needed and provide decision support through HR metrics.
What are the responsibilities of an HR manager?
- Recruiting excellent staff
- Developing and implementing strategies that align with the overall business strategy of the company
- Partner with the leadership team to understand and execute said strategies
- Carry out necessary administrative duties when needed
- Train, coach and counsel employees
- Conduct performance and wage reviews
- Maintain and nurture a positive working environment
- Handle any workplace investigations, disciplinary and termination procedures
- Create clear reports
- Develop clear policies
- Maintain employee and workplace privacy
- Report to management when needed
- Provide decision support through HR metrics
HR managers are skilled when it comes to building and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues. They are people oriented and results driven and possess extensive knowledge of HR systems and databases.
These managers also show demonstrable experience with Human Resources metrics and have experience in educating and coaching staff.
They have experience in conflict resolution, disciplinary processes and workplace investigations and have full knowledge of relevant health and safety laws. They are also competent in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
HR managers have excellent communication, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills, and have an understanding of industry awards, current pay rates and industry trends.
What are the skills of an HR manager?
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues
- People oriented
- Results driven
- Possess extensive knowledge of HR systems and databases
- Experience in conflict resolution, disciplinary processes and workplace investigations
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety laws
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Understanding of industry awards, current pay rates and industry trends
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
What are the qualifications for an HR manager? In order to take on the role of an HR manager, a Bachelor’s degree is the first step. This should ideally be in Human Resources but a related field like Finance, Business Management, or Education is also acceptable. Some employers will also need you to have a Master’s degree.
You can also boost your chances of being hired to work as an HR manager by enrolling in some online courses. Check out options for these below:
- Human Resource Management: HR for People Managers Specialization
- Leading: Human Resource Management and Leadership Specialization
- Associate Professional in Human Resources®
- Certificate in Human Resources Management – Online
For junior HR managers, the annual starting salary is up to $85,000. The average salary with a few years of experience is closer to $108,000. Senior analysts with considerable professional experience can earn up to $132,000.
Business analysts in Germany make between €33,000 and €83,000 per year, while the salary range in the UK ranges between £26,000 to £50,000.
What does an HR manager make?
What is the salary range of an HR manager?
|US||$85,000 – $132,000|
|Germany||€33,000 – €83,000|
|UK||£26,000 – £50,000|
How much do freelance HR managers make?
The freelancermap rate index in February shows an average hourly rate of $102. Considering an 8-hour working day, freelance managers make about $816 a day.