Multimedia designers are in charge of creating content in the form of graphic content and animations for digital platforms and media advertisements. They design and develop the production of said content and use their creativity and skills to make the most impact on an audience. What does a multimedia designer do?
Multimedia designers are graphic design specialists who use different media formats to improve a company’s audience engagement and advertise to platforms which emphasise visual content.
Professionals in this field are primarily sought after in the marketing industry where their duties (and pay) can vary depending mostly on their employer and the field in which they operate.
Are multimedia designers in demand? Seeing as how the field of media and new technologies are increasingly on the rise, it can be expected that careers in multimedia will continue to grow.
Multimedia designers are responsible for meeting with different stakeholders such as business analysts, creative directors, and technical architects to determine the project scope and requirements.
They then conduct research on different techniques and design ideas, develop content ideas along with other designers, and create mockups based on the project scope.
They design multimedia content such as video animation, video games, interactive websites, educational software, and textual animations and are also in charge of creating artwork for digital image processing, when required.
These designers are responsible for creating animated sequences using computer software, and are oftentimes asked to transfer audio/video files to be edited and manipulated digitally. They also edit content based on the feedback of stakeholders and report their development by meeting regularly with them.
What are the responsibilities of a multimedia designer?
- Meet with different stakeholders to determine the project scope and requirements
- Conduct research on different techniques and design ideas
- Develop content ideas in collaboration with other designers
- Create mockups based on the project scope
- Design multimedia content such as video animation, video games, interactive websites, educational software, and textual animations
- Create artwork for digital image processing
- Create animated sequences using computer software
- Transfer audio/video files to be edited and manipulated digitally
- Edit content based on the feedback of stakeholders
- Meet with stakeholders regularly to report development
What skills do you need to be a multimedia designer?
To work as a multimedia designer, you need to have excellent visual communication skills as well as knowledge of visual design principles and animation.
You must also have experience working with software design programs such as InVision, Adobe Creative Suite, and Sketch and must have basic knowledge of web publishing software and programming software.
As a multimedia designer, you will also need to have exceptional editing skills and experience using Adobe After Effects.
Since most multimedia designers work in collaboration with others, excellent communication and interpersonal skills are a must as is the ability to collaborate effectively on long-term projects.
What are the skills of a multimedia designer?
- Excellent visual communication skills
- Knowledge of visual design principles and animation
- Experience working with software design programs such as InVision and Adobe Creative Suite
- Basic knowledge of web publishing software
- Knowledge of IT and programming software
- Exceptional editing skills
- Experience working with Adobe After Effects
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively on long-term projects
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Background: How can I become a multimedia designer?
Many employers will require you to have a Bachelor’s degree. This can be in Multimedia Design, Graphic Design, Digital Design, or a related field.
Some entry-level positions can also be filled without a Bachelor’s degree. For these, you will need to obtain certificates and training. You can find options for these down below:
- Multimedia & Design
- UI / UX Design Specialization
- Adobe After Effects: Complete Course from Novice to Expert
- Animating Sketch files in InVision Studio
Is multimedia design a good career? Data from Indeed.com suggests that multimedia designers earn an average of $51,735 per year. This data makes multimedia design a promising career, especially considering the growth in technology over the past few years.
Multimedia designers who are just starting out can expect a salary of $39,000 per year whereas more skilled and experienced designers can expect around $77,000 per year.
In Germany, the average salary is €28,500 whereas in the UK, the average is £26,097.
How much do multimedia designers make?
Salary range of multimedia designers:
How much does a freelance multimedia designer earn?
The freelancermap rate index in March 2022 shows an average hourly rate of $59. Considering an 8-hour working day, freelance engineers make about $448 a day.