A Scala developer is an expert in the object-oriented and high-level programming language, Scala. They design, develop and test technical solutions and components for organizations and build enterprise applications on the cloud.
What is Scala and what is it used for?
Scala is a functional, object-oriented programming language that is characterized by a compact and concise programming style. Scala runs on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and is particularly suitable for developing complex applications.
Compared to Java, Scala requires fewer lines of code, is more type-safe, supports functional programming (FP) and at the same time outperforms Java in terms of OOP.
Derived from SCAlable LAnguage (scalable language), Scala is suitable for all application dimensions: from small, interpreted scripts to distributed enterprise applications and middleware implementations.
Scala supports multiple libraries and APIs and is, as the name suggests, a scalable language. It can also support multiple language constructs and can support high-order functions.
Responsibilities of a Scala Developer
The primary responsibility of a Scala developer is to design, develop and maintain applications using Scala. They are also involved in any architectural development activities pertaining to the application.
Scala developers write code according to app specifications, conduct software analysis and work as part of the software development team to ensure designs for applications are in accordance with specifications.
They are also in charge of testing and debugging applications as well as recommending any changes that need to be made to improve the application processes and infrastructure.
Scala developers collaborate effectively across teams, contribute to team performance improvement and document the entire development process – from the conception stage to the final output.
What are the responsibilities of a Scala developer?
- Design, develop and maintain applications using Scala
- In charge of any architectural development activities pertaining to application
- Write code according to app specification
- Conduct software analysis
- Work as part of software development team to ensure application is in accordance to specifications
- Test and debug applications
- Recommend any improvements to application processes and infrastructure
- Collaborate effectively across teams
- Contribute to team performance improvement
- Document development process
Looking for a Scala developer?
Find the right freelancer here
Skills of a Scala Developer
They must have strong technical skills and must be well versed in object-oriented programming (OOP) concepts and patterns. Basic knowledge of Spark, Hadoop and MapReduce is also an important requirement.
Scala developers must have experience working with ETL architecture as well as public cloud platforms such as AWS. They must also have a solid understanding of software development methodologies.
In addition to all the skills mentioned above, Scala developers must also possess strong communication and analytical skills. They must also be able to present information in a concise and clear manner.
What are the skills of a Scala developer?
- Proficiency in Scala
- Knowledge of other object-oriented programming languages such as Java and Python
- Experience building software solutions
- Strong technical skills
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming concepts and patterns
- Basic knowledge of Spark, Hadoop and MapReduce
- Experience working with ETL architecture
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS
- Solid understanding of software development methodologies
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to present information in a concise and clear manner
- Strong analytical skills
Join our IT freelance community now
How do I become a Scala developer?
A Bachelor’s degree is generally required to work as a Scala developer. This can be in the field of Computer Science, Technology, Engineering or anything else that is related to IT.
There are also lots of certification and training courses available online that can benefit you. Check out a few of them down below:
- Scala Programming Language
- Functional Programming in Scala Specialization
- Akka Essentials with Scala | Rock the JVM
- Learn Scala from Scratch
The salary of a Scala developer depends largely on the role they occupy and the industry they are in. A junior developer that’s just starting out can expect an annual salary of up to $64,300 whereas someone who’s in a more senior position can earn up to $175,500 per year. The average salary is $119,400 per year.
In Germany, the salary range for Scala developers is €43,000 – €75,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £30,000 – £182,000.
How much does a Scala developer make?
How much does a freelance developer make?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a Scala developer is $100. Extrapolated to an 8-hour day, the daily rate is around $800 (freelancermap price index – April 2021).