A Kotlin developer is a software developer who specializes in Kotlin – a modern, statically-typed programming language. He/She has experience with functional programming, web service concepts and is familiar with Android libraries.
What is Kotlin?
Kotlin is a high-level programming language that combines features of object-oriented and functional programming paradigms. It was developed by JetBrains, a multinational software company.
Like Java, the Kotlin source code is first converted to bytecode and executed on a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), independent of an external environment or an external operating system. JVM is the virtual machine that enables the operating system to run programs written in Java or another compatible programming language whose code is compiled in Java bytecode.
Kotlin includes various functional programming functions such as lambda expressions, higher order functions, inline functions, anonymous functions, generics and recursion. It also has the ability to support data classes and type aliases.
At the 2017 Developer Conference, Google recognized it as the official programming language for the Android platform. This makes Kotlin the third official language of the Android platform alongside Java and C++.
What is the role of a Kotlin developer?
Kotlin developers are in charge of planning, designing and developing apps and software using Kotlin. They contribute in all phases of the development cycle and then test and amend features, when needed.
Kotlin developers ensure that the designs comply with the specifications provided. They write well-designed and efficient code and also analyze, test and assist with the integration of applications.
Developers conduct software analysis and troubleshoot apps and software that use Kotlin. They are required to manage application development and support the continuous improvement of it by investigating and suggesting technologies.
They are also responsible for optimizing apps and systems and identifying opportunities for improvement. This includes code optimization, adding new features when needed as well as providing software updates.
What are the responsibilities of a Kotlin developer?
- Planning, designing and developing apps and software using Kotlin
- Contributing in all phases of the development cycle
- Testing and amending features when needed
- Ensuring that designs comply with specifications provided
- Writing well-designed and efficient code
- Analyzing, testing and assisting with the integration of applications
- Conducting software analysis
- Troubleshooting applications and software
- Managing application development
- Supporting continuous improvement of applications
- Investigating and suggesting technologies
- Optimizing apps and systems
- Identifying opportunities for improvement
- Optimizing code
- Adding new features
- Providing software updates
Looking for a Kotlin Developer?
Find the right freelancer here
Skills of a Kotlin Developer
A Kotlin developer is required to have expert knowledge in Kotlin and Java as well as hands-on experience with software development and app design. They must also have knowledge of databases and must be familiar with at least one web framework like GWT.
They must be proficient in object-oriented fundamentals and backend programming and must have decent experience with SQL.
Kotlin developers must have knowledge of web development solutions and should be familiar with XML basics. They are also required to be informed on new language developments and have business knowledge of the industry they want to work in.
Apart from the technical skills mentioned, Kotlin developers must possess strong communication skills and have the ability to work well in a team.
What are the skills of a Kotlin developer?
- Expert knowledge in Kotlin and Java
- Hands-on experience with software development and app design
- Knowledge of databases
- Familiarity with web frameworks like GWT
- Proficiency in object-oriented fundamentals
- Strong backend programming skills
- Experience with SQL
- Knowledge of web development solutions
- Familiarity with XML basics
- Being informed on new language developments
- Having business knowledge of the industry they want to work in
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team
Join our IT freelance community now
Kotlin developers must ideally have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject. They must also have proven software development experience. It should also be noted that while a Master’s degree is not strictly needed, employers do prefer candidates with one.
Training and certification can also go a long way. Check out some options for certification below:
- Kotlin Bootcamp For Programmers
- The Complete Kotlin Android Developer Course
- Kotlin For Java Developers
The salary of a Kotlin developer may vary depending on a number of factors such as the job they have and the industry they are in.
A junior developer can earn upto $100,000 per year whereas a developer with a bit of experience and additional skills can earn up to $127,500. A developer in a more senior position can earn up to $190,000 annually.
How much does a Kotlin developer make?
What does a freelance Kotlin developer earn?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a Kotlin developer is $87. Considering an 8-hour working day, the daily rate would be around $696 (freelancermap price index – March 2021).
Looking for Kotlin developer vacancies?
Find Kotlin developer jobs here