Hadoop developer – the role involves creating apps that help manage Big Data for a company. They are tasked with the programming, design, and development of Hadoop applications in the Big Data domain. What does the Hadoop developer do?
What is Hadoop?
Hadoop comes from the Apache Foundation and is an open-source, Java-based software framework with which you can process large amounts of data on complex distributed systems at high speed. It is suitable for dealing with data processing in a big data environment.
Hadoop is written in the Java programming language and is freely available as Apache source code.
The main core modules of the Hadoop framework are:
- Hadoop Common
- Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS)
- Yet Another Resource Negotiator (YARN)
The Hadoop Common provides the general libraries and utilities for the other components of the software. This includes, for example, the Java archive files and scripts for starting the software.
The Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) is a distributed file system with which data can be stored on different systems in a network of computers. This enables the storage of large amounts of data.
According to Apache, HDFS is able to manage several hundred million pieces of data. The file system also includes mechanisms for duplicating data in the event of a failure of individual computers.
The central engine of Hadoop is the MapReduce algorithm, the main features of which were developed by Google.
The algorithm provides various functions that allow complex and computationally intensive tasks to be broken down into many small individual parts on several computers and for those tasks to then be parallel processed. This results in a high computing speed.
The MapReduce algorithm brings the partial results together at the end to form an overall result.
The Yet Another Resource Negotiator (YARN) is a kind of supplement to the MapReduce algorithm. It can manage the resources in a network of computers and dynamically assign the resources of a cluster to different jobs.
Interested in working with Hadoop?
🔎 Find Hadoop Developer jobs
Responsibilities of a Hadoop Developer
The responsibilities of a Hadoop Developer may vary depending on the sector and company they work in, though generally, a Hadoop Developer is responsible for the actual coding, development, and design of the Hadoop applications.
A Hadoop developer must be able to write programs according to system designs and have adequate knowledge of coding and programming. They are generally in charge of writing MapReduce coding to help create new Hadoop clusters.
The tasks of the Hadoop developer are similar to that of the software developer but are in the area of Big Data. The Hadoop developer’s duties also include understanding and working to find solutions to problems. They must be able to convert complex processes into detailed and functional designs.
A Hadoop expert also designs and develops web applications to help query and track data. They are also then responsible for maintaining the privacy and security of the data and analyzing it to obtain insights.
Additionally, they are also tasked with handling Hadoop log files, testing out software prototypes, and pre-processing data using software like Hive and Pig.
Day to day tasks and responsibilities:
- Design and development of Hadoop applications
- Writing programs according to system designs
- Writing MapReduce coding to create new Hadoop clusters
- Monitor and manage Hadoop cluster job performance capacity planning, plus security
- Pre-processing data using Pig and Hive software
- Understanding and finding solutions to problems
- Converting complex processes into detailed and functional designs
- Designing and developing web applications for querying and tracking data
- Maintaining the privacy and security of data
- Analyzing data to obtain insights
- Handling Hadoop log files
- Testing software prototypes
Skills & Knowledge Required
A crucial skill required for the role of a Hadoop Developer is the ability to write high-performance, good code.
In-depth knowledge of the Hadoop system and its various components are also a must as is the knowledge of database practices and theories.
Technical skills for the role of a Hadoop developer include the ability to problem-solve, analyze, and implement data in the Big Data domain.
Skills in working with schedulers like Oozie are important and you must also be familiar with data-loading tools like Sqoop and have experience with HiveQL.
Skills required for a Hadoop Developer:
- In-depth knowledge of the Hadoop system and its various components
- Knowledge of database practices and theories
- Experience with writing MapReduce jobs
- Ability to problem-solve, analyze and implement data in the Big Data domain
- Working with schedulers like Oozie
- Familiarity with data loading tools like Sqoop and Flume
- Experience working with Hive queries (MapReduce), Spark programming
- Proficient knowledge of Pig, Hive, and HBase
- Knowledge of Linux and Shell scripting
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Looking for a Hadoop Developer?
👨🏻💻 Hadoop Developers for hire
A Bachelor’s Degree is often the first step to becoming a Hadoop Developer. Anything from a Computer Science degree to a degree in Analytics, Physics, Mathematics, or Statistics is acceptable so long as there is a connection to IT.
Training and certification also go a long way and luckily, there are various certification programs and courses online for you to choose from. Check out some options for certification below:
- Big Data Hadoop Certification Training Course
- Cloudera CCA 175 Spark Developer Certification: Hadoop Based
- Hadoop Developer with Spark Certification Training Course
Hadoop Developer Salary
The salary of a Hadoop Developer can vary depending on the role and industry they are in.
Entry-level developers and beginners can earn approximately $68,000 annually. The average salary for Hadoop developers with a few years of experience is $86,000 whereas for senior developers, the salary can go up to $108,000.
The salary range in Germany for Hadoop Developers is between €41,000 to €90,500 while in the UK, it ranges from £25,000 to £100,000.
How much does a Hadoop Developer make?
What does a freelance Hadoop Developer earn?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a Hadoop Developer is $106. Considering an 8-hour working day, the daily rate would be around $848 (freelancermap price index – November 2020).
Hadoop Developer Job Description Template
Hadoop has become an essential part of developing and managing complex data system. If you’re in need of an expert who can take care of your data system, here’s a useful job description template that will help you find the perfect Hadoop developer:
We are seeking a Hadoop Developer who can help us build Big Data storage software and infrastructure. Your primary job will be to design, develop and maintain applications using Hadoop. You must also have the ability to analyze, implement and track data and provide insights.
– Design and develop Hadoop applications
– Pre-process data using Pig and Hive software
– Write MapReduce coding to create new Hadoop clusters
– Understand and find solutions to any potential problems
– Convert complex processes into detailed and functional designs
– Design and develop web applications for querying and tracking data
-Analyze data to obtain insights
– In-depth knowledge of the Hadoop system and its various components
– Experience with writing MapReduce jobs
– You have the ability to problem-solve, analyze and implement data on Big Data domain
– Familiar with data-loading tools like Sqoop and Flume
– You have proficient knowledge of Pig, Hive and HBase
– You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills
We hope this project description has been helpful. Be sure to check out our tips on publishing a good project description.
Other roles in TI: