Rust developers create software and systems using Rust, a computer programming language. They complete programming tasks that range from working on operating systems to server software and more. What does a Rust developer do?
Is Rust good for programming?
Although there are already many programming languages - from C++ to Pascal to Java – new ones are constantly being developed. These should be either simpler, safer or faster. The programming language Rust pursues all three goals at the same time and is very successful with it.
Rust developers use this successful language to complete all sorts of responsibilities, ranging from designing algorithms and flowcharts to recommending improvements to existing software products.
Because this programming language moves between low languages C and very abstract languages like Java, it is actually a programming language for system programming. This refers to languages with which operating systems or applications that are closely linked to Windows, Linux or macOS can be implemented. At the same time, Rust is also used for programming web applications – that is, on a much smaller level.
Rust developers are responsible for collaborating with engineers, management, and other relevant departments to identify end-user requirements and specifications. They then write code based on those requirements using the programming language Rust.
These developers integrate third-party software components and programs where necessary and are in charge of verifying and deploying programs and systems.
They troubleshoot, debug and update existing software and also collect and evaluate user feedback. They also recommend improvements and create technical documentation for reference and reporting purposes.
Rust developers are also sometimes asked to mentor less experienced developers and create training materials for end users.
What are the responsibilities of a Rust developer?
- Collaborate with engineers, management, and other relevant departments to identify end-user requirements and specifications
- Write code based on user requirements using the programming language Rust
- Integrate third-party software components and programs
- Verify and deploy programs and systems
- Troubleshoot, debug, and update existing software
- Collect and evaluate user feedback
- Recommend improvements
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting purposes
- Mentor less experienced developers
- Create training materials for end users
Rust developers have extensive experience with Rust programming language and also possess knowledge of other low-level backend programming languages such as C/C++.
They have knowledge of advanced data structures and algorithms, are familiar with debugging tools and kernel development tools such as WinDbg, and have experience working with secure coding practices.
These developers also have experience building enterprise-grade solutions for specialized platforms like Blockchain and AI, and have strong testing skills.
Rust developers have good communication and collaboration skills, are able to work well under pressure, and have strong problem-solving skills.
What are the skills of a Rust developer?
- Extensive experience with Rust programming language
- Knowledge of low-level backend programming languages like C/C++
- Knowledge of advanced data structures and algorithms
- Familiarity with debugging tools
- Knowledge of kernel development tools such as WinDbg
- Experience working with secure coding practices
- Experience building enterprise-grade solutions for specialized platforms like Blockchain
- Strong testing skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and work well with others
- Ability to cope with pressure
- Strong problem-solving skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
You don’t necessarily need a Bachelor’s degree to work as a Rust developer though one in Computer Science, IT or a related field would boost your chances of finding a good job considerably.
Since most positions require you to have a solid understanding of Rust and low-level backend programming languages, you can further your knowledge and skills by obtaining certifications. You will find options for these down below:
- Rust Programming: The Complete Developer’s Guide
- Ultimate Rust Crash Course
- The Rust Programming Language
- Rust and the Future of Systems Programming
Your salary as a Rust Developer is influenced by various factors such as the industry, the employer, the type of products you deal with, your level of skill, and your expertise.
The starting salary for a Rust Developer is around $24,500 per year. The average salary is about $132,300 per year and the top salary can reach up to $195,000 per year.
In Germany, the salary range for developers is €38,000-€66,000 whereas in the UK, the range is £52,500-£90,000.
How much do Rust developers make?
How much does a freelance Rust developer make?
The average freelancer hourly rate of a Rust Developer is $92. Extrapolated to an 8-hour day, the daily rate is thus around $736 (freelancermap price index – as of June 2022).