A Big Data developer is in charge of managing data sets that are too big for traditional database systems to handle. They are responsible for a company’s Big Data infrastructure and tools and have to ensure the integrity of the company’s data and data models. What Does A Big Data Developer Do?
What is Big Data?
Big data refers to the storage, processing and analysis of enormous amounts of data. Data can sometimes be so large that processing it with traditional hardware and software is difficult. In such cases, special big data hardware and software is required.
The term Big data is a growing trend in the corporate world and creates enormous value for many companies.
Not only does it help companies store enormous amounts of data, it also helps them process and analyse it.
Copious amounts of data often accumulate in companies over the years, which can bring value to the business with Big Data Analytics and Machine Learning.
Given the proliferation of Big Data-based platforms, many companies have taken steps to achieve digital transformation. And so, several roles with functions regarding Big Data have emerged. These include the data analyst, data modeler, or big data developers, which we will look at next.
Another thing to consider is big data technology (Apache Spark or Hadoop). This differs fundamentally in its structure and functionality from classic software such as relational databases.
This technology only enables the analysis of large amounts of data, but also creates opportunities to process many different data formats or data at much higher speeds.
Need a Big Data developer in your company now?
Responsibilities of a Big Data Developer
A Big Data developer is in charge of providing IT services to companies using Big Data software such as Hadoop, Hive, MapReduce, etc.
They design the architecture of a company’s Big Data platform and collaborate with like-minded team members to establish best practices and identify optimal technical solutions.
Big Data developers write Unix shell scripts and complex SQ and design and implement data stores that support the scalable processing and storage of a company’s high-frequency data.
These professionals also customise and oversee integration tools, databases, and analytical systems and design, develop and test large-scale, custom distributed software systems using latest Java, Scala and Big data technologies.
What are the responsibilities of a Big Data Developer?
- Provide IT services to companies using Big Data software
- Design architecture of a company’s Big Data platform
- Collaborate with like-minded team members to establish best practices
- Identify optimal technical solutions
- Configure data-access tools used by all data scientists
- Write Unix shell scripts and complex SQ
- Designdata stores that support scalable processing
- Maintain data pipeline
- Customise and oversee integration tools and databases
- Design and develop large-scale, custom distributed software systems
- Contribute to the technological strategy definition
- Review code and providing feedback relative to best practices
Skills of a Big Data Developer
A Big Data developer has a strong understanding of computer programming languages and has extensive experience when it comes to data processing and data engineering.
They also have hands-on experience with data cleaning, visualisation, and reporting and have a good understanding of Hadoop and its popular modules like Hbase, Pig, Hive, Impala, Storm, etc.
Big Data developers have experience in using Informatica or similar products and have knowledge of database structures and its development. They are also familiar with MapReduce, Apache Cassandra, HBase etc.
They have strong analytical and problem-solving skills and have the ability to work well in a team.
What skills do Big Data developers have?
- Strong understanding of computer programming languages like Java, JS, Node.JS, Python, etc
- Extensive experience in data processing, modelling and integration
- Hands-on experience with data cleaning, visualisation, and reporting
- Good understanding of Hadoop and its popular modules like Hbase, Pig, etc
- Knowledge of database structures: SQL proficiency and NoSQL
- Experienced with Apache Spark (PySpark experience valued).
- Familiarity with MapReduce, Apache Cassandra, Jenkins etc.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide guidance to associate software developers
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Background and Education
Generally speaking, the background requirements for a career as a big data developer can vary depending on the field you choose.
However, having a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information technology, or statistics can prove to be useful.
Also having any cloud certification helps (Azure, Google or AWS).
You can also choose to obtain certifications and complete online courses to help your career and work goals as a Big Data developer. Find options for these down below:
- The Big Data Developer Course
- Big Data Hadoop Certification Training Course
- Big Data Specialization
- Apache Spark for Java Developers
Find the right Big Data project for yourself here
Salary of a Big Data Developer
The average salary for a Big Data developer is around $136,000 in the US. The starting salary for junior Data developers is around $87,000 whereas senior developers can expect to earn over $216,000 per year.
Keep in mind that salaries can differ depending on different factors such as location, previous experience, skills, industry, etc.
In Germany, the salary range for Big Data developers is €52,000 – €88,000 whereas those in the UK earn between £43,000 – £85,000.
How much do Big Data developers make?
Big Data Developers on freelancermap charge on average:
Rates in this field range between $22 and $76/hour for most freelancers.
The daily rate for Big Data Developers (8 working hours) would be around:
Other interesting job profiles
- What Does A Blazor Developer Do?
- What does an SQL Server Developer do?
- What does a Laravel Developer do?
- What does a C++ Developer do?
- What Does A Solidity Engineer Do?