Delphi programmers use the programming language Delphi to create software solutions and applications for platforms like Windows, Android, Linux and other platforms. They develop and edit applications in Embarcadero Delphi, an integrated development environment (IDE). So, what does a Delphi programmer do and how much do they make?
What is Delphi?
Delphi is a high-level programming language that was developed by Borland to support Object-oriented design. This language is able to incorporate the low-level and assembly-level language codes and generate machine code for operating systems like Windows, iOS, Android, etc.
One should also note FireMonkey when talking about Delphi. FireMonkey is a powerful app development and mulit-platform framework created by Embarcadero for use in Delphi. The aim of this platform is to build multi-device applications for the operating systems mentioned above as well as getting them to app stores fast.
Delphi offers optional support for the Skia graphics library, an open-source 2D graphics library.
One of the biggest advantages of Delphi is its fast compiling speed and clear syntax, which leads to readable code. Programmers are therefore able to write large code-based programs that are able to run on limited resourced machines.
Other advantages of Delphi include:
- Support for SQL databases
- Communication and data exchange with C++
- Adjustable VCL framework
- Minimal maintenance
- Single codebase for all platforms
Programmers also use Delphi to create stable and compact back-end web services and microservices as well as to write Azure and AWS Lamda functions (even targeting the web browser is possible with Delphi!).
Most recent release (Dec 2022): Delphi RAD Studio 11.2 Alexandria (with additional language features).
Delphi Programmer Responsibilities
Delphi programmers are responsible for designing, developing and maintaining applications using the Delphi framework and its libraries.
They identify and analyse client requirements and work to design applications that satisfy those requirements. These programmers implement and test new features present in the applications and review code for improvement and scalability.
Delphi programmers maintain standard practices in order to improve code quality and follow best practices for successful application development.
This means that they perform unit testing and troubleshoot Delphi applications on a daily basis.
What are the responsibilities of a Delphi programmer?
- Design and develop web applications using Delphi
- Support and maintain Delphi applications
- Identify and implement client requirements
- Work on applications that satisfy client needs
- Implement and test new features in applications
- Review and troubleshoot code for improved performance
- Maintain standard practices to improve code quality
- Follow best practices for app development (CI/CD)
- Communicate with team members to ensure objectives are being met
- Troubleshoot applications to improve performance, testability and scalability
- Create, run and enhance unit tests (unit testing)
- Document and write technical descriptions
Need help with Delphi or Embarcadero Delphi?
> Find the best Delphi programmer for your business here
Delphi Developer Skills
Delphi programmers have extensive knowledge when it comes to Delphi and generally, experience in software development. They have strong working knowledge of Windows administration and have demonstrable skills in Delphi IDE (Embarcadero Delphi).
They have advanced understanding of SQL and PL/SQL and are experienced in all aspects of testing. These programmers also have knowledge of Agile and Scrum and are able to develop enterprise-grade web and mobile apps.
Delphi developers need expert understanding of modern development methodologies (e.g. Agile, OO) and software design as well as experience with full release project life cycles.
They possess good interpersonal and leadership skills and are able to communicate well, both verbally and in writing. They also have good analytical and logic skills and a sharp attention to detail.
What are the skills of a Delphi programmer?
- Extensive knowledge of Delphi
- Understanding of commonly used Delphi versions and frameworks (Delphi XE2, XE8, Delphi 10.2 Tokyo, Embarcadero RAD Studio)
- Demonstrable skills in Delphi IDE (Delphi Embarcadero)
- Advanced understanding of SQL queries, procedures, triggers and views and PL/SQL
- Experience with testing applications
- Experience in building REST services and APIs
- Knowledge of development methodologies (Agile, Scrum, OO)
- Knowledge of OOP, design patterns and data structures
- Ability to develop enterprise-grade web and mobile apps
- Knowledge of markup languages such as CSS and HTML
- Windows administration knowledge (installation, configuration, security, etc.)
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. Java, C# .NET)
- Familiar with Git and debugging
- Good analytical and logical skills
Join our IT freelancer community today! Create your freelance profile in just 2 minutes.
Background and education
To work as a Delphi programmer, you will need a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, IT, or a related field. You also have chances of finding better jobs if you have prior experience with software cycle and development of web applications as well as understanding of Embarcadero Delphi.
The Embarcadero Delphi Developer Certification can also open doors to job opportunities as the exam tests the general knowledge of Delphi programming.
To develop skills needed to perform well as a Delphi programmer, consider taking courses. You can find options for these down below:
- Working with Delphi
- Learning Path: Delphi: Cross-Platform Apps with Delphi
- Master Modern Delphi Language Techniques
- The Complete Delphi Masterclass: 3-in-1
Looking for your next job as a Delphi developer?
> Find Delphi programming jobs here
Salary of a Delphi programmer
Delphi programmers typically make an average of $95,000 per year. Delphi developers can expect salaries ranging $75,000 and $100,000 per year.
Those who are just starting out can earn around $60,000 whereas programmers with years of experience and skills can earn around $120,000 per year.
As in other roles, salaries change depending on different factors such as location, previous experience, industry, etc.
In Germany, for example, the salary range for Delphi programmers is €51,900 – €89,400 whereas those in the UK earn between £30,000 – £66,000.
How much do Delphi programmers earn?
|US||$75,000 – $100,000|
|Germany||€51,900 – €89,400|
|UK||£30,000 – £66,000|
Freelance Delphi programmers make around $75/hour on average (freelancermap’s price and rate index in December 2022).
How much do freelance Delphi programmers make?
|Average hourly rate of Delphi programmers||$75/hour|
According to the freelancermap rate index as of December 2022, Freelance Delphi developers make on average $75/hour.
Freelance rates of Delphi experts range between $50 and $90 for most freelancers.
If you consider an 8-hour working day, the daily rate for Delphi programmers would be around $600/day.